Richard Gardiner, PhD
Fungal Cell and Molecular Biology
My research interests centre around fungal cell biology. I have worked on elucidating the structure and function of fungal fimbirae. Analogous to bacterial pili, fimbriae are long flexuous fibrils 7 nm in diameter and up to 20 µm in length. Originally described on the anther smut Microbotryum violaceum, they have been shown to be present on a wide variety of fungi. Currently I am carrying out some research into Tar Spot of maple. In addition I have added my expertise to various other projects in the life and material sciences.
Degrees and Institutions
- PhD Plant Sciences, The University of Western Ontario, London Ontario, Canada
- Hon BSc Biology, Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
- Biology 1290B: Biology and Microorganisms
- Biology 2217B: Plants as a Human Resource
- Biology 3218F (Summer Session): Introductory Mycology
- Biology 4218A: Microorganisms and Plant Disease
- Biology 9912: Biological Electron Microscopy (Graduate Course)
- Mitochondrial calpain-1 promotes ROS generation and TNF-z expression in endotoxemic heart (2014) R. Ni, Q. Wang, T. Sun, D. Zheng, H. Zhu, F. Tang, Y. Yu, R. Chen, P. Schiller, P. Greer, R. Gardiner, W. Wang, T. Peng. Cardiovascular Research. Submitted
- M. Krol, A.G. Ivanov, L. Savitch,, B. Szyszka, E. Selstam, V. Hurry, R. Gardiner, G. Oquist, N.P.A. Huner. 2011 Effect of cold acclimation and the pgp1 mutation on the expression of GLK1 and GLK2 and chloroplast development in Arabidopsis thaliana Paper given at 4th Conference of Polish Society of Experimental Plant Biology 2011
- M. Krol, A.G. Ivanov, B. Szyszka1, E. Selstam, V. Hurry, R. Gardiner, G. Oquist, N.P.A. Huner. 2010. The pgp1 mutation impairs chloroplast development at low temperature in Arabidopsis thaliana. Canadian Society of Plant physiologists, Montreal.
- M. Feeney , R.B. Gardiner , J.J. Harada , Y. Cui , R. Menassa. 2010. The Cell Biology of LEAFY COTYLEDON2 Over-Expression in Leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana. Canadian Society of Plant physiologists, Montreal.
- Krol, M., Ivanov, A. G., Selstam, E., Quigley, L., Hurry, V., Gardiner, R., N.P.A. Huner. 2009. Phosphatidylgycerol is required for chloroplast biogenesis during cold acclimation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Paper given at 4th Conference of Polish Society of Experimental Plant Biology 2009