Please e-mail or call for an appointment, or drop in during posted office hours.
Biology counsellors can provide:
- Information on programs available within the various modules offered through the Biology department
- Guidance on which courses to take within Biology and related departments associated with the programs and modules to achieve your academic goals.
- Help with course selection if you are currently repeating a course to meet Biology admission requirements. Until you meet these criteria you are officially in a ‘B.A. Undeclared’ program and are counselled by the Counsellors in the Dean’s office, but we can make suggestions about Biology courses you might be allowed to take concurrently with the repeated course.
- Aid with adding / dropping courses; switching lab or tutorial sections etc. Please bear in mind that this is not always possible – there are often class size constraints we cannot over-ride.
- ‘Special Permission’. Under some circumstances, the counsellors, in consultation with the person teaching a particular course, are able to allow you into a course for which you do not meet all the criteria.
We also evaluate courses either already taken, or to be taken, at another university for equivalency to those courses offered by Western.
If you are transferring from another university, the transcript is initially scrutinized by the Registrar. It is then forwarded to the office of the Dean of Science and course descriptions sent to departments for evaluation.
If you wish to do a course elsewhere on a Letter of permission, this is initially done through the Office of the Dean of science and you would then bring us the form and the course description of the course you are planning, for our evaluation.
For further information, please see the Science Academic Counselling site.