This is not your ordinary sales job. Our business development team members are the bridge between academia and industry partners or organizations. They spot opportunities and take action on behalf of Mitacs. They are at the forefront of marketing Mitacs programs and are analogous to matchmakers, who find the common interests between companies and researchers. To help you make your decision, we’d like to introduce you to someone in the role!
Sherry joined Mitacs in the summer of 2014 with a PhD in Analytical Chemistry. As a new international student attending Graduate School, she took the opportunity to participate in Step workshops and applied for an Accelerate internship. Sherry heard about the opening for a Business Development Specialist at Mitacs. Having strong people skills, she found that the job description was a great fit for her communication talents as well as her research curiosity. She contacted her local Mitacs Business Development Director, and they met over coffee to discuss what this role entailed. Convinced that this would be a great opportunity for her, Sherry applied for the position and was offered a 1 year contract. During this year, Sherry received on-the-job training and mentoring from senior team members, and honed her business development skills by meeting with local researchers and companies. She is now the Director of Business Development in Metro Vancouver, where she continues to be a valued Mitacs team member.
If you were to join Mitacs as the Business Development Specialist for BrainsCAN/Western University, we’d ask you to do the following:
- Work closely with members of Mitacs Business Development, Research, and Programs teams to deliver high‐quality programming
- Work closely with (Partner) to fully understand the needs of their researchers, find industry opportunities and identify the best programs to leverage the research opportunities uncovered
- Create and maintain a network of partners/clients in industry and academia
- Introduce companies and not-for-profit organizations to various Mitacs programs
- Introduce companies to various university researchers
- Providing support to the Business Development Team as needed
- Providing business development support to all Mitacs programs as needed
- Provide business development support to (Partner) partners