Dr. Michael R. Wagenman
> is the Christian Reformed campus minister at Western and a member of the faculty of Western's School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. He completed his PhD at the University of Bristol (UK) on the philosophy and theology of power of civic institutions. He maintains ongoing research and publishing, writes regularly in academic and popular journals and newspapers, and is a member of a number of learned societies. He is the chair of the international network of practical theology scholars, the Scripture and Church Seminar
, which is part of the Institute for Biblical Research
and the Society for Biblical Literature
. His academic research addresses the philosophy and theology of power in the Modern and Postmodern periods (Max Weber to Michel Foucault), religious propaganda, the history and theology of Calvinism and Neo-Calvinism, the theological justifications of racism in North America and South Africa, and the theological roots of European democratic pluralism. He participates in Western's Alternative Spring Break
, teaches New Testament at Redeemer University College
, is available to supervise grad students and serve on examination committees, chairs the Christian Reformed Church's church-planting team for southwestern Ontario, and is happy to serve the university, church, and community as a teacher, speaker, and mentor/coach.
- Beginner's Bible Study (Gospel of Mark), a weekly place for new Christians, undergraduate students, or those interested in learning more about Christian faith can explore the big questions. Wednesdays from 4:30-5:30pm in UCC 38B.
- Graduate Christian Fellowship, a weekly gathering of grad students who want to discuss together the joys and challenges of grad student life from a Christian perspective. Thursdays from 5:30-8:00pm in UCC 38B.
- Faculty Book Club, a monthly discussion group of faculty (and grad students) on important and thought-provoking books.
- Alumni Reunion - Saturday, June 9 (4-9pm). All Western campus ministry students from 2001 to the present are invited to an evening BBQ and campfire. We will share stories of our lives since leaving Western, hear from current campus ministry students, and enjoy reconnecting with each other. Further details available from Mike.
- Summer Day Trips
- Downtown Toronto (CN Tower, Aquarium, Harbourfront, dinner, etc.) - Saturday, May 19
- Canoeing the Grand River - Saturday, June 23
- Stratford Shakespeare Festival (Coriolanus) - Saturday, July 28
DOWNLOAD OUR APP!
Connect with us, receive notifications about events, get up-to-date announcements, all right on your iOS or Android device. Create a free account, set "Western University Campus Ministry" as your "home church" and you'll be all set! There's even a free Bible and daily devotional included!