Visitors are welcome at the Department of Chemsitry, although we have your safety in mind. Accordingly, visitors will be required to:
Laboratories in the Department of Chemistry subscribe to a maximum skin coverage policy meaning that the minimum acceptable attire for visiting or working in a laboratory is:
- Dress appropriately (see below) and wear the personal protective equipment that is required to be worn in the laboratory being visited
- Be accompanied by a Western representative who is responsible for the visitors in case of an emergency. The representative is either the person being visited or as assigned by the lab supervisor.
- Follow the rules and procedures of the laboratory.
A person properly attired will not have visible, exposed skin from the neck down, except for the hands. In addition, safety glasses with side-shields or googles must be worn in chemical labs. Other personal protective equipment as deemed necessary by the Laboratory Supervisor, the Safety Committee or OHS.
- Complete coverage of the foot by footwear
- Long pants that cover the ankle
- A shirt that covers the entire torso
- A laboratory coat is mandatory for undergraduate students and highly recommended for other workers
For your safety, visitors who are unable to comply with the above cannot enter the lab.
Chair, Undergraduate Counselling
Department of Chemistry
1151 Richmond Street
London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5B7
P (519) 661-2166
F (519) 661-3022
Main Office Hours
Fields of Research
Synthesis and Catalysis
Energy and Mechanism
Connect with Western
Also of interest:
Western provides the best student experience among Canada's leading research-intensive universities.