Office of Faculty Relations

Foreign Academic Visitors

Foreign Nationals who visit The University of Western Ontario as academic visitors are required to obtain the necessary immigration documents to enter Canada, remain in Canada and/or to be paid by Western University.  The nature of the visit will determine the appropriate contract or invitation letter issued by Western University and the paperwork that will be required by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to issue the appropriate immigration documentation. 

Visiting Professors, Visiting Scientists and Self Funded Academic Researchers do not require a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from HRSDC/Service Canada to obtain the appropriate documentation from CIC. Rather, the letter of invitation from Western University is used during the application process. 

Upon receipt of the letter of invitation, the foreign academic visitor must contact the nearest Canadian Consulate/Embassy to determine the appropriate documentation required by CIC for the duration of the visit. A work permit may be required depending on the activities performed during the visit and if a salary is paid by the University. Depending on the country of origin and citizenship of the visitor, additional documentation may be required from Citizenship and Immigration Canada to visit Canada including, but not limited to, a temporary resident visa (TRV), medical clearance from a designated Canadian medical practitioner and police clearance.