Shauna Burke, PhD
- MA, PhD (Western University)
- BKin Hons (McMaster)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Infant, child, and youth health
- Childhood obesity
- Measurement and promotion of physical activity in children and adults
- Breastfeeding and infant feeding practices
- Health promotion
- Group dynamics
- Faculty researcher in the Health Promotion Laboratory at Western University
- Principal investigator of the Children's Health and Activity Modification Program (“C.H.A.M.P.”) and “C.H.A.M.P. Families” program
- Family-based programs targeting childhood obesity in the London, Ontario community.
- Personal Determinants to Health
- Child and Youth Health
- Research Methodology and Scientific Writing in the Health Sciences
- Faculty of Health Sciences Recognition of Achievement for outstanding contributions to teaching: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013
- “Outstanding Reference Source” award from the American Library Association for: Carron, A. V., & Burke, S. M. (2010). Group cohesion. In J. M. Levine & M. A. Hogg (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Group Processes and Intergroup Relations (pp. 316-320). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Member of the Canadian Obesity Network (CON; 2007-present)
- Member of the North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity (NASPSPA; 2003-present)
- Member of the International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA; 2008-present)
- Member of the HealtheSteps Chronic Disease Network (2012-present)
- Member of the International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA; 2012-present)
- Vanderloo LM, Tucker P, Johnson AM, van Zandvoort MM, Burke SM & Irwin JD. (2014). The influence of center-based childcare on preschoolers’ physical activity levels: A cross-sectional feasibility study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 11(2), 1794-1802. doi:10.3390/ijerph110201794
- Tucker P, Vanderloo LM, Newnham-Kanas C, Burke SM, Irwin JD, Johnson AM & van Zandvoort MM. (2013). Learning Environments’ Activity Potential for Preschoolers (LEAPP): Study rationale and design. Journal of Public Health Research, 2, e19. doi:10.4081/jphr.2013.e19
- Gordon ES, Tucker P, Burke SM & Carron AV. (2013). Effectiveness of physical activity interventions for preschoolers: A meta-analysis. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 84(3), 287-294.
- Burke SM, Davies KM & Carron AV. (2014). Group cohesion in sport and exercise settings. In M. R. Beauchamp & M. A. Eys (Eds.), Group dynamics in exercise and sport psychology: Contemporary themes (2nd ed.), London: Routledge, pp. 147-163.