Loius Charland, PhD
School of Health Studies
Room 214, HSB
519 661-2111 x86445
- PhD (Western University)
- BA, MA (Carleton)
- Departments of Philosophy and Psychiatry
Supervising Graduate Students
- Mental health diagnosis
- Psychopathology of affectivity
- Decisional capacity
- Cross-cultural psychiatry
- Centre for the History of Emotion, University of London, Queen Mary, United.
- Partner Investigator, Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for the History of Emotion, Perth Australia
- Editorial Board, History of Psychiatry
- Associate Editor, Philosophy, Psychiatry, Psychology.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Ethics and Mental Health.
- Executive Committee, Association for the Advancement of Philosophy and Psychiatry
- Executive Committee, International Society for Research on Emotion (2009-2012)
- Foundations of Affective Science
- Theoretical Foundations of Mental Health Treatment and Diagnosis
- Spirituality, Healing, and Health
- History of Medicine and Psychiatry
- Charland LC. (2012). Moral Treatment in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century. In Abraham Rudnick and David Roe (Eds.) Serious Mental Illness: Patient-Centred Approaches, Oxford: Radcliffe Publishing Ltd., 19-25.
- Charland LC. (2012). Benevolence and Discipline: The Concept of Recovery in 19th Century Moral Treatment. In Abraham Rudnick (Ed.). Recovery of People with Mental Illness: Philosophical and Related Perspectives, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 65-77.
- Charland LC. (2012). The Varieties of Compulsion in Addiction. Commentary on Hanna Pickard, The Purpose of Chronic Addiction. American Journal of Bioethics, 2, 50-51.