Jennifer Irwin, PhD
- PhD (Waterloo)
- MA (Dalhousie)
- BA (Wilfrid Laurier)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Obesity prevention and treatment
- Motivational interviewing and life coaching interventions
- Promotion of health-related physical activity and dietary intake behaviours
- Tobacco and smoking behaviours
- Health promotion
- Health behaviour change
- Award of Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching: Western University Alumni Association and the University Students' Council, 2013
- Canadian Obesity Network Student and New Professional Faculty Supervision Award, 2011
- Faculty of Health Sciences Top 10% Instructor Award, 2013
- Manuscript Reviewer
- Paediatrics and Child Health
- Journal of Physical Activity and Health
- BMC Public Health
- Family Medicine
- Mantler, T., Irwin, J.D., & Morrow, D., Hall, C.R., & Mandich, A. (2014). Assessing Motivational Interviewing via Co-Active Life Coaching on Selected Smoking Cessation Outcomes. Addiction Research and Theory. August, 22(5), 1-12.
- Pearson, E.S., Irwin, J.D., Morrow, D., Battram, D. & Melling, C.W.J. (2013). The CHANGE Program: Comparing an interactive versus prescriptive approach to self-management among university students with obesity. Canadian Journal of Diabetes, 37(1), 4-11.
- Friedman, C., Morrow, D. & Irwin, J.D. (2013). What are You Willing to Change to Promote Your Patients’ Oral Health? Find Out How Motivational Interviewing Can Help You Help Your Patients. Ontario Dentist: Journal of the Ontario Dental Association, June issue, 20-23.
- Ng, V. & Irwin, J.D. (2013). Prescriptive medicine: The importance of preparing Canadian medical students to counsel patients toward physical activity. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 10, 889-899.
- Boland S, Irwin JD & Johnson AM. (2014). A Survey of Students’ Vitamin D-Related Knowledge. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2014.08.013.
- Mantler T, Irwin JD, Morrow D, Hall C & Mandich A. (2014). Assessing Motivational Interviewing via Co-Active Life Coaching on Selected Smoking Cessation Outcomes. Addiction Research & Theory, doi: 10.3109/16066359.2014.946410.
- Tucker P, Vanderloo LM, Irwin JD, Mandich AM & Bossers A. (2014). Exploring the nexus between health promotion and occupational therapy: Synergies and similarities. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, doi: 10.1177/0008417414533300.
- Vanderloo LM, Tucker P, Johnson AM, van Zandvoort MM, Burke SM & Irwin JD. (2014). The Influence of Centre-Based Childcare on Preschoolers’ Physical Activity Levels: a cross-sectional feasibility study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 11 (2) 1794-1802.
- Tucker P, Vanderloo LM, Newnham-Kanas C, Burke SM, Irwin JD, Johnson AM & van Zandvoort MM. (2013). Learning Environments’ Activity Potential for Preschoolers (LEAPP): Study Rationale and Design. Journal of Public Health Research, 2, e19. DOI:10.4081/jphr.2013.e19.