Jennifer Irwin, PhD
- PhD (Waterloo)
- MA (Dalhousie)
- BA (Wilfrid Laurier)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Obesity prevention and treatment
- Motivational interviewing and life coaching interventions
- Promotion of health-related physical activity and dietary intake behaviours
- Tobacco and smoking behaviours
- Health promotion
- Health behaviour change
- Award of Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching: Western University Alumni Association and the University Students' Council, 2013
- Canadian Obesity Network Student and New Professional Faculty Supervision Award, 2011
- Faculty of Health Sciences Top 10% Instructor Award, 2013
- Manuscript Reviewer
- Paediatrics and Child Health
- Journal of Physical Activity and Health
- BMC Public Health
- Family Medicine
- Ng, V. & Irwin, J.D. (2013). Prescriptive medicine: The importance of preparing Canadian medical students to counsel patients toward physical activity. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 10, 889-899.
- Friedman, C., Morrow, D. & Irwin, J.D. (2013). What are You Willing to Change to Promote Your Patients’ Oral Health? Find Out How Motivational Interviewing Can Help You Help Your Patients. Ontario Dentist: Journal of the Ontario Dental Association, June issue, 20-23.
- Thomas, H.M.C. & Irwin, J.D. (2013). Using Photovoice with at-risk youth participating in a community-based cooking program. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, 74(1), 14-20.
- Pearson, E.S., Irwin, J.D., Morrow, D., Battram, D. & Melling, C.W.J. (2013). The CHANGE Program: Comparing an interactive versus prescriptive approach to self-management among university students with obesity. Canadian Journal of Diabetes, 37(1), 4-11.
- Pearson, E.S., Irwin, J.D., Burke, S. & Shapiro, S. (2013). Parental perspectives of a 4-week family-based lifestyle intervention for children with obesity. Global Journal of Health Sciences, 5(2), 111-122.
- Mantler, T., Irwin, J.D. & Morrow, D. (2013). The experience and impact of motivational interviewing-via-coaching tools on national smokers’ telephone hotline employees. International Journal of Evidence-Based Coaching and Mentoring, 11(1), 55-68.
- Pearson, E.S., Irwin, J.D. & Morrow, D. (2012). The CHANGE Program: Methodology for comparing interactive Co-Active coaching with a prescriptive lifestyle treatment for obesity. International Journal of Evidence-Based Coaching and Mentoring, 11(1), 69-84.
- Pearson, E.S., Irwin, J.D., Morrow, D. & Hall, C. (2012). The CHANGE Program: Comparing an interactive versus prescriptive obesity intervention on university students’ self-esteem and quality of life. Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being. 4(3), 369-389.
- Gilliland, J.A., Rangel, C.Y., Healy, M.A., Tucker, P., Loebach, J.E., Hess, P., He, M., Irwin, J.D. & Wilk, P. (2012). Linking childhood obesity to the built environment: a multi-level analysis of home and school neighbourhood factors associated with body mass index. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 103(9), S15-S21.