Jennifer Irwin, PhD
- PhD (Waterloo)
- MA (Dalhousie)
- BA (Wilfrid Laurier)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Obesity prevention and treatment
- Motivational interviewing and life coaching interventions
- Promotion of health-related physical activity and dietary intake behaviours
- Tobacco and smoking behaviours
- Health promotion
- Health behaviour change
- Award of Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching: Western University Alumni Association and the University Students' Council, 2013
- Canadian Obesity Network Student and New Professional Faculty Supervision Award, 2011
- Faculty of Health Sciences Top 10% Instructor Award, 2013
- Manuscript Reviewer
- Paediatrics and Child Health
- Journal of Physical Activity and Health
- BMC Public Health
- Family Medicine
- Thomas H & Irwin JD. (2012). Cook it up!: Formative Evaluation of a community-based cooking program for at-risk youth in London, ON. International Journal of Home Economics, 5(1), 64-83.
- Thomas H & Irwin JD. (2011). Cook It Up! A community-based cooking program for at-risk youth: Overview of a food literacy intervention. BMC Research Notes, 4, 495 -501 .
- Thomas H, Tucker P, Fellner L & Irwin JD. (2011). Healthy eating and physical activity challenges and opportunities in after-school programs: Providers’ perspectives. Child Health and Education: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 3(2), 106-121.
- Tsonis M, McDougall J, Mandich A & Irwin JD. (2012). Interrelated processes toward quality of life in survivors of childhood cancer: A grounded theory. The Qualitative Report, 17(article 89), 1-18.
- Ng V & Irwin JD. (2012). Prescriptive medicine: The importance of preparing Canadian medical students to counsel patients toward physical activity. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, PMID 23072743.
- Pearson E, Irwin JD & Burke S. (2012). The Children’s Health and Activity Modification Program (C.H.A.M.P.): Participants’ perspectives of a four-week lifestyle intervention for children with obesity. Journal of Child Health Care, PMID: 23045293.
- Wiley EJ, Irwin JD, & Morrow D. (2012). Health care practitioners’ perceptions of motivational interviewing training for facilitating behavior change among patients. Journal of Allied Health, 41(3), 131-139.
- Wiley EJ, Morrow D & Irwin JD. (2011). The impact of a one-day applied training in motivational interviewing on health practitioners’ perceived competence, autonomy, efficacy, and attitudes to facilitate behavior change: A pilot study. Journal of Community Medicine & Health Education, 1, 101. DOI:10.4172/jcmhe.1000101.
- Mantler T, Irwin JD & Morrow D. (2012). Motivational interviewing and smoking behaviours: A critical appraisal and literature review of selected cessation initiatives. Psychological Report, 110 (2), 445-460.
- He M, Tucker P, Gilliland J, Irwin JD, Larsen K, & Hess P. (2012). The influence of local food environments on adolescents’ food purschasing behaviors. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 9, 1458-1471. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph9041458.
- He M, Tucker P, Irwin JD, Gilliland J, Larsen K & Hess P. (2012). Obesogenic neighborhoods: The impact of neighborhood restaurants and convenience stores on adolescents’ food consumption behaviors. Public Health Nutrition, DOI:10.1017/S1368980012000584.
- Newnham-Kanas C, Morrow D & Irwin JD. (2012). Certified professional co-active coaches: Why they enjoy coaching. International Journal of Evidence-Based Practice, 10(1), 48-56.
- Newnham-Kanas C, Irwin JD & Morrow D. (2011). The utility of motivational interviewing using co-active life coaching skills on adults struggling with obesity: Participants’ perspectives. Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research & Practice, 4(2), 104-122.
- Newnham-Kanas C, Irwin JD, Morrow D & Battram D. (2011). The quantitative assessment of motivational interviewing using co-active life coaching skills as a treatment for adults struggling with obesity. International Coaching Psychology Review, 6(2), 211-225.
- Newnham-Kanas C, Irwin JD & Morrow D. (2011). Findings from a global survey of certified professional co-active coaches. International Journal of Evidence-Based Coaching and Mentoring, 9(2), 23-36.