Business improvements are a combination of sustainable and accessible initiatives that foster a safe and effective environment to work and study. Below are some examples of the business improvements we've made to increase productivity and efficiency on campus:
Elimination of paper-based processes
Western has eliminated many of its paper-based processes saving time, space, and money on the cost of paper. For instance, FM receives hundreds of key request forms a day and the new electronic form is estimated to save 70kg of paper each year.
More paperless processes:
- A self-service portal enabling students to easily access grades, course calendars, and tax forms, as well as register for courses
- Used Oracle Applications to reduce the carbon footprint and diminish thousands of admission letters and earning statements that the university previously printed
- Gave staff the ability to view earning statements online, provide emergency contact details, and access necessary tax forms—reducing paper usage and improving productivity in the workplace
Western is committed to green buildings and whenever feasible, we even pursue a LEED® certification with CaGBC.
Physics & Astronomy Building:
- HVAC and electrical systems were completely replaced with more efficient technology
- Replaced rusted lintels and windows, roof and ventilators
- Asbestos removed
- The building’s windows were replaced with high-performance double- and triple-glazed windows
- Sensors were installed to control lights and ventilation
- Highly efficient, long-lasting LED lights were installed helping to better showcase the art
To learn about recent building renovations and upgrades please view capital projects and completed projects.
Western currently uses Enviro-Solutions cleaning products which are safer for the workplace and the natural environment. Their products are typically Green Seal certified and sport the Ecologo, an official mark licensed with Environment Canada.
Benefits of this using 'green' cleaner:
- It is readily biodegradable
- Made from naturally derived renewable resources
- Has low human impact and aquatic toxicity.
- Products are concentrated formulas, using less packaging materials for easier transportation
- Smaller containers also conserve space in storage closets and are easier to lift
Also, all of the bathroom tissue supplied to the campus by Caretaking Services is 100% recycled and 80% post-consumer waste.