Why Graduate School?
A graduate education helps advance your knowledge in a particular field(s), fostering your intellect and enabling you to apply your research to the benefit of society.
- A graduate degree increases your competitiveness in the job market
- Unemployment rates are historically lowest among those with graduate degrees (see fig. 1.1)
- Average weekly income is highest among those who hold graduate degrees (see fig. 1.2)
- Canada needs many more highly educated personnel in order to compete within the global economy
- 35% more master’s and PhD graduates will be required over the next decade
- Graduate degrees help keep training and skills current, increasing eligibility for career advancement
- Provides the opportunity for in-depth exploration, collaboration and the intellectual satisfaction of discovering and acquiring new knowledge
- Become an expert in your field
- Work closely with world-class researchers in your area of interest
- Contribute to important research and discoveries
- Improve your C.V. or resume by publishing in journals and presenting your work at academic and professional conferences
- Contribute within academia as a researcher or professor
For more information, please review Your Future: A Guide for Potential Graduate Students by the Canadian Association of Graduate Studies.