Welcome to Western!
Campus Community Police Service would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to Western! The next four years will be exciting and full of growth, and CCPS is here to help you have the best student experience. CCPS supports the safety and security of all individuals and enriches the quality of campus life, however safety is a shared responsibility. The tips below will contribute toward your own person safety and the safety of others:
- Always lock your doors. THIS INCLUDES ROOMS IN RESIDENCE. This will help prevent an intruder DAY OR NIGHT. If you start now, the action will become part of your day-to-day routine.
- Do not permit any open flame in your room for any reason. The lighting of candles, incense, and smoking materials in residence is hazardous.
- Don't leave your laptop unattended in public places. It only takes a second for it to be taken so keep it with you at all times.
- Communicate with your family and roommates. If you are leaving, let them know your plans and expected time of return. A phone-call saying you will be late will prevent unnecessary worrying. People care about you; be considerate.
- Alcohol consumption can greatly increase your vulnerability. If you decide to drink, designate someone in your group to remain sober to ensure that everyone gets home safely. In fairness, take turns being the designated person. Be aware of your beverages at all times.
- Walk with a friend at night, or use Foot Patrol. Walk home from class or the library with a friend, or call Foot Patrol at 519-661-3650.
- Never prop open residence or building doors . Anyone can slip in.
- Don’t let people in behind you when entering your residence. You may feel unkind by denying them access, but your diligence will help keep everyone safe.
- Report suspicious, erratic or unusual behaviour immediately. Even if you are not sure if there is cause for concern, trust your gut and call Campus Police.
- Follow campus policies. They are there to help keep you safe.
If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to call us at 519-661-3300. We are open 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. Call 911 in the event of an emergency.