NSERC Awards for Science Promotion
The NSERC Awards for Science Promotion honour people and groups that are inspirational in the way they promote science to the general public. They are an opportunity for Canada's science community to recognize, support and encourage outstanding science promoters.
The individual recipient will receive an award of $10,000. The winning group will be awarded $25,000 to further science promotion activities.
Any individual, registered non-profit organization, postsecondary institution, non-federal museum, science centre or company within Canada may be nominated for the award. Nominees will have made a successful and sustained effort to encourage public interest in, and an understanding of, the natural sciences and engineering (including math and technology) outside the formal education system. Science promotiona activities with award potential could include:
- organizing science camps, fairs, clubs or programs with youth organizations;
- creating new learning materials;
- developing science- and engineering-related co-op programs or job shadowing initiatives;
- arranging demonstrations, visits and lectures;
- writing books and articles;
- creating radio or television programs and generating public involvement through multi-media programs
A complete nomination package will include:
- A printed and signed NSERC Award for Science Promotion nomination form;
- A letter (maximum 3 pages) that describes:
- the nominee’s efforts and involvement in inspiring public understanding, and developing abilities in, science and engineering;
- the impact and duration of the nominee’s activities (Note: Nominators are encouraged to include specific measures of impact.); and
- the project’s content, originality and scope;
- Three signed letters of receommendation
- Supporting documentation (maximum 4 pages) such as promotional material, participant feedback, media publications, awards, publications, etc.
- A Terms and Conditions Form for Nominees signed by the nominee; and
- A Terms and Conditions Form for Nominators signed by the nominator.
Nominations may be submitted electronically via Secure Submissions for NSERC's Innovative Collaborations and Science Promotion Programs. Nomination materials should be submitted in .pdf as a single document.
The final nomination deadline is Tuesday, September 1, 2015.
Interested parties are encouraged to consult with Julaine Hall (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Research Development & Services regarding this award and the nomination process.