Release of Funds Prior to the Approval of Western's Research Ethics Board/Animal Care Committee
If my project is not yet ready to be reviewed by the board or committee – how can I get my funding released?
The Release of Funds Agreement enables Principal Investigators (PI) to access their research funding prior to obtaining approval for research involving humans or animals. In cases where:
- projects are insufficiently advanced for review of the study protocol (for example, questionnaires not yet developed), or
- where the portion of the research involving humans or animals does not occur until subsequent years of the project, PI may apply to have their research funding conditionally released.
To maintain compliance on certifications for research, PIs must complete a Release of Funds Agreement (see below) and submit it to Research Development & Services (RDS) at email@example.com.
Upon review, the form will be signed and returned to the PI via email, and a copy will be held at RDS. If there are questions, RDS will contact the investigator to discuss any concerns.
The expiry date in this form refers to the date you anticipate having full approval from the relevant office. The protocol number must be sent to RDS before the expiry date of the Release of Funds Agreement.
Please note that one Release of Funds Agreement can only be matched with one award; it is not possible to use one Release of Funds Agreement for multiple awards.
How to fill out the form:
- Principal Investigator - This is the account holder for the research account.
- Phone Number - This is the PI's phone number or extension.
- Email Address - This is the PI's email that is used and checked most often.
- Please indicate which approval is required - Are these funds going to be supporting research including animals or humans? Please note that if these funds are supporting research involving animals and humans, two Release of Funds Agreements will need to be used.
- Budget amount requested - For Tri Agency awards, the PI must provide the budget amount needed to complete the project work until the time approval protocols are received for use of animals and/or humans.
- Brief description of proposed work - What research does this sponsor expect these funds to be used for?
- How do you plan to use the study's funds without involving humans or animals? What is the delay in obtaining human or animal ethics approval - What are these funds supporting in the meantime, prior to obtaining the appropriate approvals? What is the reason for the delay in obtaining the appropriate approval to conduct research involving animals or humans?
- Anticipated date of protocol submission - When do you expect to submit your protocol for board or committee review and approval?
- Anticipated or desired date of protocol approval - When do you hope to begin your research involving either animals or humans? This will also be a guide for determining the end date of this Release of Funds agreement.
- Signature of the Principal Investigator - This must be signed by the account holder; this can either be an ink signature or an electronic signature.
- Date - This is the date the form was filled out.