Faculty of Science

Frequently Asked Questions

Is admission competitive?

Yes.  As space in each program is limited, admission each year is competitive.  Minimum averages vary from year to year, depending  on the number and quality of applicants.

I'm upgrading my courses this year and was wondering what is Western University's policy regarding upgraded courses? Does it affect my average in any way?

Western will continue with its current practice of taking the higher of the two grades submitted for the same subject for high school applicants.

When are offers of admission made?

Offers of admission are mailed to candidates on an ongoing basis commencing in January.  Offers of admission extended prior to May are based on the applicant’s Grade 11 and Grade 12 marks.  Offers of admission that are made in May are based on the applicant’s Grade 12 mid-term average.  For non-Ontario high school students, contact the Admissions Office for more information at: www.welcome.uwo.ca/preview/admissions/

Will I get some help with course selection?

Yes.  Summer Academic Orientation, is an available and highly recommended on-campus or phone advising session with a Professor, an Academic Counsellor or a
Liaison Officer held in the summer months.  This service will give you the opportunity to discuss your courses, attend learning skills sessions and student panels, take a tour of the campus and residences, set up a timetable and a Western email account  as well as  register for your courses. For more information about course selection visit: www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/FirstYear.html

How big are lectures in first-year?

Class sizes in first year range from about 100 or less in some subjects to several hundred in others depending on the demand for the course. Many courses in first year are accompanied by labs and tutorials which are considerably smaller and provide an opportunity for interaction with your professor

How much time am I expected to devote to each course?

A typical course expects that for every hour students spend in lecture they should devote roughly twice as many hours to independent study. However, it does depend on the student as no student is the same.

I have a question concerning the admission requirements into the Faculty of Science. I am a little unclear of what it meant when I read “two courses from Biology, Chemistry, Computer and Information Science...” Does it mean that I can only submit two of the four courses and that my next two other 12U credits must be of other courses? Please clarify.

It means that you MUST have a credit in both English (ENG4U) and Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U).  You must have taken two of the following Grade 12 courses: Advanced Functions (MHF4U), Biology (SBI4U), Chemistry (SCH4U), Computer and Information Science (ICS4M), Earth and Space Science (SES4U), Math of Data Management (MDM4U), Physics (SPH4U) AND you must have two other Grade 12 U or M level courses - they can be anything you want including other Science courses. We will take the four pre-requisite marks and add the next two best Grade 12 U or M level marks in order to calculate your average.

For those students who wish to pursue admission to the Biological and Medical Sciences first-entry program they will need  English ENG4U, Calculus and Vectors MCV4U, Biology SBI4U and Chemistry SCH4U.

Can registration be deferred?

If you are offered admission into a first-year full time program, you may ask to defer your admission for up to one year if you do not attend another post-secondary institution.  If your deferral is granted, you will be required to submit a $250.00 nonrefundable deposit to secure your place for the following academic year. Residence room assignments are not deferred-students will be put in the general lottery for residence selection in the year of registration. Scholarships are not automatically deferred. The student must meet scholarship criteria in the year of registration.

What are the best modules I can take to gain admission into Medical or Dental School?

At Western, there is no “preferred” academic route for Dental/Medical School application consideration; students from any faculty may be considered. Dental school applicants, however, require prerequisite courses. Admission into these schools is extremely competitive and enrolment is limited.  It would be wise to choose an undergraduate program that will provide you with an alternative career choice in case you are not admitted. For more information on admission to Medicine and Dentistry at Western, please refer to: www.schulich.uwo.ca/education/ume for Medical school or www.schulich.uwo. ca/Dentistry for Dental school.

What about extra-curricular activities?

There are 38 varsity sports teams, and an extensive intramural sports program. Students interested in varsity athletics are advised to contact the appropriate coach
or the Intercollegiate Athletics Office, Room 3170 Thames Hall, 519-661-3551, www.westernmustangs.ca as soon as possible since many sports have try-outs well before September.

There are more than 160 clubs and organizations on campus.  In September, all clubs participate in “Clubs Week,” a University Students’ Council (USC) sponsored event.

Many departments have clubs and associations run by students.  These societies are often a source of academic help, seminars, instructive material, job search information, outreach activities and social events. Other departments host informal study groups.  The Department of Mathematics is well known for its Mathematics Study Group “Pizza Seminars”, while the Department of Applied Mathematics has The Flower Hour for those who are studying Mathematical Biology and The Power Hour for those who are working on Financial Mathematics. These groups allow students to discuss ideas and give presentations in a friendly yet
challenging environment.

I’ll need a place to live once I get to Western, what options are there?

Accommodation is guaranteed if you are single and have received an offer of full-time admission to Western by the end of May during the last year of secondary school. There are advantages to residence life. The proximity to classes and campus services as well as the exceptional meal plans saves students time and energy so that they may concentrate on their studies.

Western’s housing services has nine student residences. There are different types of living quarters to choose from. The traditional “residence style” features one or two people to a room and the floor shares common facilities.The “suite style” has a single room for each student and shares a common living room and bathroom facilities among four people.

Students can also take advantage of living on a learning community floor.  These floors are for students who share similar interests and are handy in providing easy access to study groups and social activities.

If a student feels unsuited for residence life and wishes to live off campus, the Western Off-Campus Housing Service can help.  The office and web site provide resources to help students find a home as well as information about landlord and tenant legal matters. Western’s Off-Campus Advisors are a group of student volunteers who help fellow students and their neighbours deal with issues related to living in the community.  The Off-Campus Advisors are trained to provide assistance, information and support to students facing issues such as landlord or renting problems, by-law questions, roommate disagreements and any other issue or concern that may arise when students are living off-campus.