2017/2018 held at Western University
Caribou Information Sheet (74 KB)
The School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences at Western University is hosting the Caribou Cup (see cariboutests.com) which consists of online mathematics contests held six times per year. This math activity offers challenges for a wide spectrum of students, including students for whom mathematics is not their favoured subject because
- questions are not strictly knowledge based and often feature mathematical puzzles;
- each contest contains at least one interactive question (see cariboutests.com/games).
We choose this math enrichment because
- questions train problem solving techniques which are a good complement to school mathematics;
- all previous contests are available online for free to practice;
- results are out on the evening of the 2nd contest day;
- there is a YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/user/CaribouContest) which features video clips presented by a school boy solving a selection of previous contest questions.
If you are interested in participating, please provide the full name and the grade of the student who will be writing the tests to Kristina Sendova at email@example.com. Participation is free of charge as the School covers the charges.
Location and contact information:
Location: Western Science Centre, Room 256
University of Western Ontario
1151 Richmond St., London N6J 5B7
Contact: Kristina Sendova
Phone: (519) 661-2111 ext. 88232
Test dates and times:
- February 14, 2018: grades 3 to 4: 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.;
- February 15, 2018: grades 5 to 12: 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.;
- April 4, 2018: grades 3 to 4: 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.;
- April 5, 2018: grades 5 to 12: 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.;
- May 2, 2018: grades 3 to 4: 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.;
- May 3, 2018: grades 5 to 12: 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
Information about parking on Western's campus can be found at Western Parking (https://www.uwo.ca/parking/find/visitor/index.html). Meter parking spots and the Social Science Lot are most convenient.