MFA in Visual Arts
• BFA or Honours BA in Visual Arts with a minimum B+ standing.
• Studio concentration in a Bachelor's program.
• Recommended: three full courses (or equivalent) in art history including modern, contemporary, and / or Canadian art.
• One academic transcript from all post- secondary institutions attended.
Past or current students of The University of Western do not need to provide transcripts for their academic history at Western. This information will be obtained internally.
• Two letters of reference.
Applicants are required to enter the names and contact information (including e-mail address) of their referees into the online application. Once the application is processed, the referee will receive a request via e-mail to complete an electronic recommendation form on the applicant's behalf. A link to the form will be included in the e-mail. The referee will receive a reminder in two weeks if the recommendation is not received. The applicant will receive an e-mail when Western receives the referee's letter of recommendation.
• A well considered statement of intent regarding the applicant's work in the visual arts. The statement of intent should outline your background preparation for graduate level work and indicate how you view your studio production in the context of contemporary art.
• One sample of written work at least 1000 words
• English Proficiency Test
All applicants whose first language is not English should be aware that the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or its equivalent must be taken before applying to our program. The TOEFL may be waived for applicants whose first language is not English who have already successfully completed a university degree at a university in an English speaking country.
• Twenty images (digital format) representing, as far as possible, a body of work, accompanied by a list indicating date, title and medium; or items that illustrate multidisciplinary work (e.g. performance) such as video, audio, digital works, photographs, etc., accompanied by a description of the work.
Guidelines for Submitting Digital Images:
• Supporting materials (including statement of intent, writing sample, images, videos, etc.)must be submitted through www.westernu.slideroom.com after November 1. Do not send materials to the department.
• Access to SlideRoom will open November 1st. Applicants may upload images (jpg, png, gif) or video (mov, wmv, flv, mp4), music (mp3) and PDF documents. For good image quality and fast upload, your image files should be sized around 1024 x 768px @ 72 dpi. Please keep video files under 120MB each and 2 - 3 minute clips. Our SlideRoom portal offers additional instruction for submitting your work. For technical assistance , contact email@example.com.
• SlideRoom will allow you to log in and edit your portfolio as much as you like; however, once you click on the submit button, you will no longer be able to make changes. REMEMBER you must click the submit button if you want us to review your portfolio, unsubmitted or pending portfolios will not be reviewed. A $12 USD fee will be charged at the time of submission. Please note that there are several programs listed at our SlideRoom portal; it is very important that you upload your images into the correct program that you are applying for.