AJE '19 Submissions
The Annual Juried Exhibition returns for its 19th consecutive year! This group exhibition represents a diverse selection of artwork from all disciplines and all levels of undergraduate study in the Department of Visual Arts.
Due to COVID-19 safety measures, the Artlab Gallery and Cohen Commons will continue to operate virtually. As in-person visits are not permitted at this time, the Artlab will be installing the AJE but exhibiting it virtually: posting exhibition documentation, videos, and virtual walk-throughs on our website and social media.
The AJE is open to all undergraduate students currently enrolled in a Studio, Art History or Museum and Curatorial Studies courses.
• Most media are accepted, but unfortunately due to health and safety regulations there will be no opportunities for live performance works. Documentation of live performance works in photo, video, or sound media are encouraged as an alternative.
• All works must be original and completed within the last year.
• Works previously exhibited in the Artlab Gallery are not eligible.
• A maximum of TWO works may be submitted by each student.
Please note: If you are submitting 2D or 3D works, you must be available to deliver these works to the John Labatt Visual Arts Centre during an assigned drop-off period (between Tuesday, February 23rd and Thursday, February 25th) in order for your submission to be eligible. Students whose digitally-derived works are selected for exhibition (i.e., video, media, sound works) will be encouraged to deliver these works online.
The online submission form will be available as of Thursday, January 28th at 9am.
Access the Submissions Form Here.
Submissions close on Thursday, February 11th at 11:59pm. Students must complete this form using their UWO Microsoft email in order to successfully attach your documentation files. Late submissions, or submissions with incomplete forms, will not be accepted.
Students can enter up TWO separate works for consideration.
When filling out the form, please adhere to the following guidelines:
• Accompanying documentation of work can be an image (.jpg), video (.mp4 or .mov) or sound file (.mp3, .m4a, or .wav). Please ensure your submission includes the correct image, video, or audio formats;
• Image files should be no larger than 1200 pixels x 1200 pixels and 150 dpi;
• Your form attachments cannot exceed 10MB of space. If you are submitting extended video-based or audio-based projects, or files larger than 10MB, you will need to submit these to email@example.com via your UWO Microsoft OneDrive account. You may also upload the complete video- or audio-based project to an online hosting platform (like Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud) and include a url for your project.
All submissions will be considered by a professional five-person jury. Artists will be notified by email with exhibition results. Awards will be presented for works that demonstrate creativity, conceptual rigor, technical facility, and viewer engagement.
Successful AJE participants will be notified by email on Saturday, February 20th. You will be given an assigned drop-off date.
ARTWORK DROP-OFF and PICK-UP:
Exhibiting participants will be directed to drop off artworks to the John Labatt Visual Arts Centre at specific times between Tuesday, February 23rd and Thursday, February 25th. To limit in-person contact, digitally-based submissions (video works, animated gifs, sound works) can be submitted through Western OneDrive or WeTransfer. Following the exhibition, participants will be notified with assigned pick-up dates for works.