Postdoctoral Fellowships Program
Western Research, on behalf of the Vice-President (Research), invites applications from all eligible individuals for Western’s Postdoctoral Fellowships Program. This program is administered by Western Research.
Western’s Postdoctoral Fellowships Program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants who will contribute positively to research excellence at the university and help advance Western's strategic research plan.
The Postdoctoral Fellowships Program’s objectives are to:
- Attract top-tier postdoctoral talent, nationally and internationally;
- Develop their leadership potential; and
- Position them for success as tomorrow’s research leaders.
Application deadline: Tuesday November 9 at 4:00pm (Eastern).
Update (08/21)- Guidelines updated to clarify applicants may have, or be near completion of, a PhD or PhD-equivalent or health professional degree (see Section 2.1.1, General eligibility), and funding for successful applications will begin on a mutually agreed upon date within the 2022 calendar year (see Section 1.3.4, Project time period).
- Up to 11 Fellowships are available for the 2021 competition. Each Faculty will be allocated a minimum of one Fellowship.
- Through a partnership with the Office of Indigenous Initiatives and in support of the goals of Western’s Indigenous Strategic Plan, at least one of the Fellowships awarded will be an Indigenous Western Postdoctoral Fellowship (see Program Guidelines for eligibility criteria). Matching funds for the Indigenous Postdoctoral Fellowship will be provided by the Office of the Provost & Vice-President Academic.
- Fellowships will provide a minimum stipend of $45,000/year plus benefits for two years (non-renewable). 13% benefits, and a 1.5% stipend increase in year 2, for a total value of $102,464 over 2 years (non-renewable).
- Matching requirement: Western Research will contribute up to 50% of the Fellowship costs. The host Faculty and/or supervisor are responsible for securing the remaining 50% of costs (through, for example, grant funding held by the supervisor, industry funding, or departmental-level or faculty-level support). Supervisors and Faculties are free to offer total stipends above $45,000/year, if they have the funding to do so. In a limited number of cases Western Research may consider funding up to 100% of the Fellowship based on demonstrated need and lack of available matching funding.
See Guidelines for full eligibility details.
- Western University guidelines on Postdoctoral Scholars
- The applicant’s PhD (including PhD-equivalent or health professional degree) must have been granted (official convocation/graduation date) within three (3) years prior to the proposed start date of the Postdoctoral Fellowship. All PhD requirements must have been met by the start date of the award.
- Applicants who received their PhD before more than three (3) years prior to the proposed start date and who have experienced circumstances or interruptions that have affected their research projects, professional career, or academic achievement since receiving their PhD are also eligible to apply
- Preference may be given to applicants who received their PhD from institutions other than Western University.
- Applicants who currently hold a postdoctoral position at Western, or have previously held a postdoctoral position at Western, are noteligible to apply.
- Applicants cannot currently hold a permanent faculty position, or a faculty position leading to permanency.
- Successful applicants cannot hold a postdoctoral position at another institution for the duration of this award.
- Applicants must secure written commitment of a qualified faculty member at Western who has the expertise, experience, and capacity to act as the Principal Supervisor.
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens will be required to secure all necessary permits, visas, or documentation required by all relevant jurisdictions. More information can be found on Western’s School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies’ website
See Guidelines and Application Form for full details.
- The Postdoctoral Fellow applicant must submit a complete Postdoctoral Fellowships Program Application Form with the following required attachments:
- Letters of support from three (3) referees;
- Research Project Proposal (4 pages max.);
- Bibliography/References (2 pages max.);
- Postdoctoral Supervisor Statement (3 pages max.)
- Canadian Common CV for the Postdoctoral scholar;
- Most significant contributions (1 page max.); and
- Proof of PhD.
- The Principal Supervisor (in consultation with the Postdoctoral Applicant) must submit a Western University ROLA proposal for the application. The proposal must be:
- Complete (i.e., all relevant fields are populated including the fields for identifying the source of the required matching funds);
- Consistent with the application form; and
- Approved by all relevant parties through the ROLA proposal system.
ROLA Proposal deadline: Tuesday November 2, 2021
Application deadline: Tuesday November 9 at 4:00 p.m. (Eastern). Email application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. No late submissions will be accepted.
Western Research, in consultation with an Associate Vice-President (Research), reserves the right to exclude from competition any submissions that are incomplete or inconsistent. Excluded applications will not be presented to reviewers for consideration.
For more information, please contact Deanne van Tol, Research Development Officer