Driving in Ontario

The Ministry of Transportation Office allows an individual with a valid driver's license from another province, state or country to use it for up to 60 days after you move to Ontario. After this 60 day grace period, all Ontario residents must have an Ontario driver's license.

New Ontario residents have a 30 day grace period to register their vehicles and to obtain Ontario license plates and vehicle permit.

Ministry of Transportation Location:

4380 Wellington Street South
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

For full information, please see the Ministry of Transportation website.

Obtaining a Driver's License from a Province/Country under the Reciprocity Agreement

The Ministry of Transportation abides by a reciprocal exchange agreement for licensed drivers with two or more years of driving experience within the last three years between the following provinces/countries:

  • Ontario and other Canadian provinces
  • Canadian Forces Europe
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • France
  • Great Britain
  • Germany
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • Switzerland

Below is a brief overview of this program including requirements for applicants:

  • Present a valid foreign driver's license (if it is not in English or French, it must be accompanied by a translation from a qualified translator).
  • Three pieces of identity documentation
  • Pass a vision test
  • written knowledge test regarding Ontario's traffic rules
  • Pay all applicable fees
  • Provided adequate proof of foreign driving experience
  • Foreign driver's license will be surrendered at the time of exchange

Please review complete information on this program at DriveTest.ca.

Obtaining a Driver's License for Out of Country Drivers

The following information pertains to individuals who hold driver licenses from countries to which Ontario does not hold a license exchange agreement. 

Ontario's graduated licensing system has two levels: level 1 or class G1 and level 2 or class G2. Individuals who do not hold a valid driver's license must obtain one full year of driving experience in Ontario before qualifying to take the first level road test (G2 road test). Once passing this test, you obtain a "G2" license. Again, after obtaining a full year of driving experience holding a G2 license, you qualify for the second level road test (G road test).  Upon passing the G road test, a full "G" license is awarded to the driver.

Applicants from out of country may still qualify for credit in respect to mandatory test and wait times.  All applicants will still be required to pass a vision test and knowledge test.  To apply for credit, applicants must demonstrate the following:

  1. Acceptable Identification

    Original and valid identification

  2. Valid Drivers License 

    Must be valid
    Must have an expiry date
    Licenses are not required to be surrendered

  3. Amount of Experience

    Must demonstrate a minimum of 12 years experience. 
    For full requirements and additional criteria, please visit DriveTest.ca.

  4. Letters of Authentication

    Mandatory when claiming more than 12 months previous driving experience.
    For more information on the Letters of Authentication, please visit DriveTest.ca.