Professor of Classics and Graduate Chair
BA (Calgary), MA (Victoria), PhD (Chicago)
Areas of Interest:
Roman society and culture (social attitudes, women and the family, sexuality, and slavery, clothing); Roman art and architecture; Latin historiography. I happily accept and supervise students at the M.A. and Ph.D. level in those subjects.
Ancient history, more specifically Greek and Roman society and culture: social attitudes, social structure, women, the family, sexuality, and slavery, clothing and appearance; Greek and Roman art and architecture; Greek and Roman historiography; sexuality and appearance in Western culture. Publications include articles on costume, women, Roman art, and ancient society.
- CS 9450A: Women in Antiquity
- CS 3300F: Ancient Greek and Roman Sexuality
- CS 3350G: Women in Roman Antiquity
- GSWS: Gender & Fashion: The Historial View
Distinctions and Awards (Selected):
- 2019-21 SSHRC Insight Dev’p Grant (for Roman Jewelry and the Technology of Enchantment)
- 2019 Western SSHRC Explore grant
- 2017 Western Strategic Success grant
- 2012-2014 Teaching Fellow, School of Advanced Study in the Arts and Humanities (UWO)
- 2011-2013 Faculty Scholar, Faculty of Arts & Humanities, Univ. of Western Ontario
- 2011 Academic Development Fund (for Greek Dress and Romanitas in Roman Antiquity)
- 2008-2011 SSHRC Standard Research Grant (for Men, Appearance, and Sexuality in Roman Antiquity)
Books Published (Selected):
- ed. A Cultural History of Beauty. Vol. I: Antiquity 500 BC -400 CE. Bloomsbury. Forthcoming 2022.
- ed. A Cultural History of Luxury. Vol. I: Antiquity 500 BC -400 CE. Bloomsbury. Forthcoming 2022.
- ed., with A. Batten. Dress and Religion in Mediterranean Antiquity: Greeks, Romans, Jews, Christians. Bloomsbury Academic, 2021.
- Masculinity and Dress in Roman Antiquity (Routledge, 2017). 214 + xv pp.
- Dress and the Roman Woman: Self-Presentation and Society (Routledge, 2008). 171 + xv pp.
- Masculinity, appearance, and sexuality: Roman dandies. Journal of the History of
Sexuality 23.2: 2014: 182-205.
- Cosmetics in Roman antiquity: substance, remedy, poison. Classical World 103.2: 2009: 291-310.
- Insignia lugentium: female mourning garments in Roman antiquity, in the American Journal of Ancient History 3-4 2004-05. (2007): 89-130.
- "Roman underwear revisited." Classical World 96.2: 2003, 201-210.
- "Matrona and whore: the clothing of Roman women" in Fashion Theory 6.4: 2002: 387-420.
- Roman glass gaming pieces or jewel stones in Mouseion Series III vol. 1: 2001" 127-138.
Book Chapters (Selected):
- ‘Dress and Adornment,’ in The Roman Imperial Court: Methods, Models, and Materials. ed. B. Kelly, S. Blake, A.G. Hug, R. Tordoff, and R. Wei.
- ‘Introduction,’ in Batten and Olson 2021 (above): 1-7.
- ‘Dress and religion in Roman antiquity,’ in Batten and Olson 2021 (above): 201-13.
- ‘Dress and classical studies,’ in Batten and Olson 2021 (above): 11-18.
- ‘Power and Identity,’ in A Cultural History of Colour. Vol. I: Antiquity 500 BC -400 CE, ed. D. Wharton. Bloomsbury Academic. 49-61.
- 'Stola,' entry for the Oxford Classical Dictionary, 5th ed. (forthcoming 2021, Oxford Univ. Press)
- ‘Fashion and adornment in hair.’ In A Cultural History of Hair. Vol. I: Antiquity. ed. M. Harlow (Bloomsbury 2018): 47-64.
- 'Status.' In A Cultural History of Dress and Fashion. Vol. I: Antiquity, ed. M. Harlow (Bloomsbury 2016): 105-18.
- 'The Roman toga : status, sexuality, identity.' In Sex in Antiquity: New Essays on Gender and Sexuality in the Ancient World, edd. M. Masterson and N. Rabinowitz (Routledge 2014): 422-48.
- 'Greek and Roman marriage' (with A. Glazebrook). In A Companion to Ancient Sexuality, ed. T. Hubbard (Wiley Blackwell, 2013): 69-82.
- 'Gender and sexuality.' In Themes in Roman Society and Culture: An Introduction to Ancient Rome, edd. M. Gibbs, M. Nikolic, and P. Ripat (Oxford Univ. Press 2013): 164-88.
- 'The appearance of the young Roman girl'. In Roman Dress and the Fabric of Roman Culture, edd. J. Edmondson and A. Keith (Univ. of Toronto Press, 2008): 139-57.
- 'Matrona and whore: clothing and definition.' In Prostitutes and Courtesans in the Ancient World, edd. C. Faraone and L. McClure (University of Wisconsin Press 2006), 186-204.
Papers Read (Selected):
- “Dress and Adornment at the Roman Imperial Court,” lecture at the Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, for the panel ‘Caesar’s Palace: Inside the Court of Early Imperial Rome.’ March 2020
- “Celluloid Cleopatras 1899-2013.” University of Waterloo, Canada, February 2020 (invited lecture)
- “Dress and Adornment at the Roman Imperial Court,” at the Adornment as Expression of Everyday Identity in Ancient and Medieval Life conference. Rome, September 2019 (keynote address)
- “Celluloid Cleopatras 1899-2013.” Sally Katary Memorial Lecture, Thornloe University, Canada, March 2019 (invited)
- “Fashion and Elegance in Roman Antiquity,” Art Institute of Chicago, November 2018 (invited)
- Classical Assoc. of Canada Lecturer, October 2018 (Eastern tour), September-October 2018
- “Fringes on garments in Roman art,” European Association of Archaeologists meeting, Barcelona, Spain, September 2018
- “Ancient Roman hairdressing,” and “Fashion and Elegance in Roman Antiquity,” J. Paul Getty Museum, Malibu, California, July 22, 2018 (invited)
- “Noblewomen and leisure in Roman antiquity,” Classical Association of Canada annual meeting, St John’s, Canada, May 2017.
- “Nasica’s toga and the death of Tiberius Gracchus.” Classical Association of Canada annual meeting, Quebec City, Canada, May 2016.
- “Elegance and philosophies of fashion in Roman antiquity,” Dept. of Classics, Univ. of Manitoba, September 2015 (invited)
- “Pearls and patches: status and male footwear in Roman antiquity,” Shoes, Slippers, and Sandals: Feet and Footwear in Antiquity conference, Newcastle-on-Tyne, UK. June 2015.
- “Resurrection and rebirth: the Antonine toga,” Resurrection and Rebirth conference, Dept. of Religious Studies, McGill University, May 2014
- "Beware the Ill-Girt Boy: Tunics, Status, and Masculinity in Roman Antiquity," Dress and ID conference, Berlin, Germany, September 2012 (keynote address)
- “Luxury and Dress in Roman Male Clothing,” Dress and ID Conference Study Group C: Dress and Gender, Berlin, Germany, September 2012
- “Roman and pre-modern dandies: sexuality and affect,” The Reception of Rome and the Construction of Western Homosexual Identities conference, Durham UK, April 2012.
- “Greek dress in Roman antiquity,” Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference, Frankfurt am-Main, Germany, March 2012
Service to the Discipline (Selected):
- May 2022: co-organizing chair of the Classical Association of Canada annual meeting (London, Ontario)
- May 2016-18: Communications Officer, Women’s Network, Classical Assoc. of Canada
- May 2012: invited respondent, panels on Adornment in the Bible and Antiquity, Canadian Society for Biblical Studies, Congress (Kitchener-Waterloo)
- May 2012: Organizing chair of the Classical Association of Canada annual meeting (London, Ontario)
- March 2012: Organizing chair of Philhellenism and the Romans (panel at the Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference, Frankfurt am Main, Germany)
- May 2011: Organizing Chair of Justice on the Margins in the Ancient World workshop (UWO; SSHRC funded, May 2011)
- 2010-2013: Member, Classical Association of Canada Council