Portfolio Evaluation Criteria
The focus of the Visual Arts studio program is on creative and critical approaches to contemporary visual artists’ practices. The Portfolio Evaluation Committee will be looking for work that demonstrates creative curiosity, ambition and an ability to convey ideas or address issues in an imaginative and personally engaging manner. Aptitude, proficiency and experimental ambitions will be weighted equally. The work adjudicated for potential acceptance will be chosen on the basis of the applicant’s ability to convey ideas, interests, and material abilities.
- All applicants must submit an online portfolio at SlideRoom by February 15.
- Portfolios will consist of 12 pieces of recent artwork demonstrating a range in subject matter, approaches, techniques or media.
- In addition to traditional two and three-dimensional work, examples of digital video, audio and photographic media are welcomed.
- At least four of the pieces should provide examples of a sustained exploration or development of a creative idea. This could be through four different works sharing a single theme, or through a series of studies relating to preparation of a final work.
- Portfolios including video and/or audio works should not exceed five minutes in total length
(see submission guidelines below).
- The portfolio should be organized in chronological order and emphasize recent works. It may include work undertaken independently, outside a formal art program (high school or other).
- Applicants will also be asked to include a personal statement via SlideRoom. Your statement should be 250-500 typed words and indicate creative interests, influences and goals. You may wish to comment on any special interests or abilities that relate to studying in Visual Arts at Western University.
All portfolios are to be submitted online via SlideRoom by February 15. Do not send materials to the department.
The Portfolio deadline is February 15. Portfolio reviews will begin in January. Applicants who meet Western’s admission criteria and have submitted a successful portfolio at that time will receive early offers of admission.
Portfolio Submission Guidelines
- Supporting materials (i.e. images, videos, etc.) must be submitted through SlideRoom by February 15. Do not send materials to the department.
- The Portfolio deadline is February 15. Portfolio reviews will begin in January. Applicants who meet Western’s admission criteria and have submitted a successful portfolio at that time will receive early offers of admission.
- Access to SlideRoom will open September 30th. Applicants may upload images (jpg, png, gif) or video (mov, wmv, flv, mp4), music (mp3) and one PDF document. For good image quality and fast upload, your image files should be sized around 1024 x 768px @ 72 dpi. Please keep video files under 120MB each and 2 - 3 minute clips, up to 5 minutes in total. Our SlideRoom portal offers additional instruction for submitting your work. For technical assistance, contact email@example.com.
- SlideRoom will allow you to log in and edit your portfolio as much as you like; however, once you click on the submit button, you will no longer be able to make changes. REMEMBER you must click the submit button if you want us to review your portfolio; unsubmitted or pending portfolios will not be reviewed.
- A $12 USD fee will be charged at the time of submission. Please note that there are several programs listed at our SlideRoom portal; it is very important that you upload your images into the correct program that you are applying for, BFA Studio Arts - Undergraduate 2018.