Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find a selection of frequently asked questions regarding registration and course selection, special permissions, and program planning tools.

General Program and Degree Questions

What if I forgot to do my Intent to Register (ITR)?

If you forgot to do your ITR you will automatically be considered as wanting to continue in the same program/module.

If you are in year 1 Science or Year 2 Medical Sciences you will be put as Science undeclared.

There may be reasons you need to change your program before registering for courses. You will only be allowed to change programs in the summer if you need to be in that specific program to access courses. Program change requests during the summer have strict deadlines outlined here.

Please submit after you have seen your adjudication comments (end of May-early June).

If you want to change to another faculty you will need to visit that faculty.

What are the essential modules for 3-year or 4-year degrees?

Information on all modules offered at Western Science can be found on our Modules and Degrees page. The following options are available in terms of degrees:

Degree and Module Details
Degree Type Module Combinations
Honours Bachelor Degree
(4 Years/20 Courses)
  • Honours Specialization
  • Honours Specialization–Major
  • Honours Specialization-Minor
  • Major-Major
Bachelor Degree
(4 Years/20 Courses)
  • Specialization
  • Specialization–Major
  • Specialization–Minor
  • Major–Major
  • Major
  • Major–Minor
  • Major–Minor–Minor
Bachelor Degree
(3 years/15 Courses)
  • Major
  • Major–Minor
  • Minor–Minor

What is an antirequisite?

An antirequisite course is a course that contains the same or similar content. and therefore if both are taken, only the most recent course credit will be retained for credit.  The first course will be noted as RNC meaning repeated, no credit. For example, if Math 1600A/B is completed successfully, and in the next term, a student then completes Math 1229A/B, they will lose credit for Math 1600A/B.  You also can’t take antirequisite courses in the same term – so you can’t do Math 1600B and Math 1229B and get credit for both. Students are strongly advised to review pre- and anti-requisites VERY carefully!

Can you repeat a course?

Yes, both marks are on your record but only the second mark counts.

For more information, see the Current Western Academic Calendar.

What is the maximum number of first-year courses that can be used towards a degree?

The maximum number of first-year courses is 7.0

For more information, see the Current Western Academic Calendar.

What are designated essay courses? Do they have to be taken at Western?

E or F/G/Z are designated essay courses that have to be taken at Western.

For more information, please see the Current Western Academic Calendar.

How many courses can you take in the same subject?

No more than 2.0 in your first year. For a 3 year degree, no more than 9; for a 4-year degree, no more than 14.

For more information, see the Current Western Academic Calendar.

How many courses can you take in each term?

2.5 in each semester.

For more information, see the Current Western Academic Calendar.

How many courses can you take at the Affiliated Colleges?

Only 1.0 per year and only if the course is not offered on the main campus.

What do I need to pass?

All grades below 50% are considered failed grades. To remain in good standing at Western you need a 55% average in the first year and 60% in the second year. You need higher marks for some programs.

Special Permission Specific Questions

Should you require a special permission or have questions regarding special permissions please review our special permissions page.

Program Planning Tool Specific Questions

I have checked my Program Plan online and it indicates that I have not met some course requirements but an Academic Counsellor had confirmed that I had fulfilled the course/program requirements. Why is there a contradiction to the Program Planning Tool?

The automated Program Planning Tool checks are unable to recognize the following situations:

  • Special Permissions from Departments for course substitutions or permission to register in a course without the prerequisite.
  • courses that have been transferred from another university.
  • repeated courses or anti-requisites.

In the case of conflicting assessments, view Special Permissions in the Student Center under Academic Records for any special permissions and, if in doubt, consult an Academic Counsellor.