My Go-To Healthy(er) Snacks
Written by: Grace Turek, 4th Year Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences
When quarantine started back in March, I suddenly had more free time then I knew what to do with. I always enjoyed cooking and baking but I never really had the time to truly explore this hobby. When online school started to wind down and my boredom began, I decided to finally start cooking and baking! My inspiration for meals and snacks come from Instagram accounts that focus on “healthier alternative” recipes including: @purelykaylie, @wellness_md, @joyful_health. Check them out, you will be amazed!
My All Time FAVOURITE Baking Snack: Banana Bread!
I’m sure some of you probably noticed how hard it was to come by a bag of flour or a bottle of vanilla extract. This was likely because of everyone’s quarantine craving to bake banana bread. As an occasional baker myself, I hopped on this trend and whipped up a batch of my favourite banana muffins/ bread recipe. After trying many recipes over the years, I have created the ultimate delicious healthy banana bread. I love this recipe because you can easily modify it. If you are lactose-intolerant and gluten-sensitive like me, you can swap out the butter for coconut oil and regular flour for gluten-free!
- 2 cups flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill GF Baking flour, but really anything will do)
- 4-5 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup honey (can substitute for 3 tbsp maple syrup if desired)
- 1/2 cup butter (coconut/olive oil will also work)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp of nut/oat/regular milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
These instructions are easy!
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and mix away.
- Banana bread: bake in pan for 55 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Muffins: bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Must-Try Salty Snack: Sweet Potato Fries and Chipotle Sauce!
These sweet potato fries are my go-to alternative when I’m craving something salty or fast-food fries. I eat these frequently as a side dish for many of my meals! Here are my simple instructions!
- Sweet potato
- Coconut oil ((preferably because it structure sustains high heat better than other oils)
- 1/2 mayo (I use Farmboy’s vegan mayo)
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp water
- dash of salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder (if you don’t have this it still works well without it)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (optional)
- Start by melting the coconut oil and lather it over the sliced sweet potato on a pan.
- Season with salt and garlic (optional).
- Bake at 425 Fahrenheit for 17 min and 450 Fahrenheit broil for 6 min to get them extra crispy. Flip halfway through.
No-Bake 3 Ingredient Snack: Crunchy Cereal Bars!
This next snack is perfection, and is perfect for a sweet tooth. You can mix it up however you like. These cereal bars are super easy.
- 3 cups of cereal (I recommend Cheerios, Shreddies, or Rice Krispies
- 2/3 cup of nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew, sunflower… whatever works)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Chocolate chips
- All you have to do is melt the honey, coconut oil and cashew butter, and pour it over the cereal.
- Use your hands to mix together and add some chocolate chips.
- Once it is combined and somewhat stuck together, lay it in a pan flat and put in freezer until solid.
- Cut it up in squares and you are good to go! (I like to keep it in the freezer just so it keeps its shape)
I hope you give some of these recipes a try! Definitely stay tuned for some more quick and easy snack ideas to come!