Employee (and family) Assistance Plan (EAP)
New name and new ways to access supports!
You'll notice some changes to this page as our EAP services are being enhanced and rebranded to LifeWorks by Morneau Shepell. You'll need to register to access the new online platform and app but you can receive the same great care by phone anytime. Check your email for details or read more about the changes now.
EAP is a confidential service, provided by Morneau Shepell that can help you to optimize your current well-being, or to take the first step toward change. You can access help to find solutions to the challenges you face at any age and stage of your life.
At no cost to you, you and your family members can access immediate and confidential support in a way that is most suited to your communication preferences, comfort level and lifestyle. We know that when you and your family are well, you can bring your best self to work. EAP is part of our efforts to continuously improve the programs we offer to support you and your family's well-being.
Counselling can be done in-person (currently unavailable due to COVID), on the phone, via video or online. In addition to emergency and counselling services, EAP offers an extensive range of services that can assist with challenges you face, and help to boost your health and wellness.
When available, in-person counselling locations are available in London and surrounding communities. They are also available across Canada and internationally if you are travelling, on sabbatical or have a dependent studying away from home.
- Your confidential EAP services are called LifeWorks by Morneau Shepell.
- Supports are available to ALL Western employees and their spouses and dependent children up to age 21, or up to age 25 if they are still in school full time.
- Counselling services are provided by experienced counsellors who are Masters level professionals.
- Counselling can be done in-person (on hold due to COVID), on the phone, via video, online or by text through First Chat.
- Other services to support your life and your work are available. You can connect to a registered nurse, dietitian, lawyer, financial advisor and other professionals. Read more about these supports and services.
- Services are fully confidential within the limits of the law. No one, including Western, will ever know that you've used the services unless you tell them.
- There is no cost to you or your family to use the EAP services.
- Services can be provided in a wide variety of languages. If your preferred language is not available a translator is provided.
- If your spouse or child accesses the services you will not know. To access services, your family members simply tell EAP that you work for Western University.
You or a family member can contact Morneau Shepell by phone anytime at 1-844-880-9142. Identify yourself as a Western employee or, if a dependent is calling, they should identify you as a Western employee to access services.
You can also access supports, services and helpful information through the LifeWorks app or website.
- All eligible employees receive an invitation via email to sign up for online access. The email contains a personal invitation code.
- Go to www.lifeworks.com, select Login, or download the mobile app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store and select Sign Up.
- If you have lost track of your invitation code, you will see a link “I can't find my invitation code” to request this be re-sent to you. Note that all emails are sent to your @uwo.ca Western email account.
Online access is also available to eligible family members. The employee can invite their family members to set up their own online access. The employee logs into their own account to extend invitations.
- At www.lifeworks.com - Login > select Profile > select Family > and then Invite Family Members.
- From the LifeWorks app - Login > select More > Invite Family
If you are experiencing a crisis situation, you can speak to a counsellor right away. Otherwise a meeting will be scheduled within one to five days. Your inquiry will be answered by a caring professional who can help you choose a support option that best suits your needs and learning style. Your preference for time of day, location, specialty and way of meeting (in-person, phone, video-conference) will all be considered.
EAP will provide a series of sessions with a professional. This short-term, solution-focused counselling model is designed to help you tackle one priority at a time. If you need more specialized or longer-term support, Morneau Shepell's team of experts can suggest an appropriate specialist or service that is best suited to your needs. While fees for these additional services are your responsibility, there may be coverage under your provincial or Western health plan.
There are many topics Morneau Shepell counsellors can discuss with you - relationship challenges, family concerns, abuse, addiction, parenting, workplace conflict, mental health concerns including stress, depression and anxiety, and more.
Ways to access counselling include:
- In-person counselling is a traditional session format, ideal for families or couples who need interaction. Note: in-person counselling is not currently available because of COVID.
- Telephone counselling is convenient and ideal for time-restricted or travelling individuals.
- Video counselling offers virtual face-to-face support, in the convenience and comfort of your home.
- E-counselling via email exchange with a Counsellor is best suited for those most comfortable with written communication. It is also ideal for travelling individuals, providing support anywhere.
- First chat provides instant support with a Counsellor online, via the LifeWorks website or through the LifeWorks app.
- Health and wellness resources are text-based and self-directed. Just login to the LifeWorks website to get access to hundreds of articles, tools and resources
In addition to counselling, Morneau Shepell provides services that can connect you with professional help related to your work, your family, your nutrition and health, your financial situation, legal issues and more. You may be connected with a child or eldercare resource, a naturopathic doctor, a lawyer, dietician, financial professional or a registered nurse, depending on your needs and wishes.
EAP can provide immediate as well as ongoing confidential assistance for any work, health or life concern. Sometimes it can be hard to know what to ask for and how to ask for it. Below is some information that may help with your decision making:
|What do I need?||What do I ask for?||What will happen?||What happens next?|
|An immediate consultation||You will speak with a counsellor immediately or within a short window of time.||You will speak with a counsellor on call. If ongoing counselling needs are identified, you will be provided with the steps below to arrange further support.|
|Non-emergency counselling support||Ongoing counselling support||If appropriate, you will be provided with an intake assessment. Upon completion of the assessment you call back to arrange an appointment.||Your appointment will be scheduled. If there are challenges based on the availability of appropriate services, you will be advised that you will receive a callback (within five days) to confirm your appointment.|
|Non-emergency professional (non-clinical counselling) support||Identify the wellness support/resource you are interested in||After identifying the support or resource you are interested in, if relevant, you will be provided with an assessment to complete prior to scheduling a first appointment.||
If provided with an intake assessment, when you have completed it, you will call back to arrange an appointment.
If no assessment is required, your appointment will be scheduled, or you will receive a callback within five days to confirm your appointment.
Other local community supports available to you:
CMHA – London Middlesex
648 Huron St., London, ON
Receive immediate crisis assessment, intervention, stabilization and links to community resources.
24 HOURS/DAY, 7 DAYS/WEEK
Reach Out 24/7
24-hour phone crisis assistance
Web chat with a mental health professional
First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line
24-hour culturally relevant telephone crisis intervention counselling
Anova provides safe places, shelter, support, counselling, and resources for abused women, their children, and all oppressed individuals to find a new start.
Toll-free: 1-866-797-0000 Toll-free TTY: 1-866-797-0007
Fast, free medical advice. In an emergency, do not call Telehealth. Call 911.
Visit the EAP FAQ page for a full list of questions and answers.
Your EAP services with Morneau Shepell continue to be available to you and your family. Counsellors are available to provide support through telephone, videoconference, secure email and chat. If you or a family member are looking for support, EAP is ready to help.
These Morneau Shepell resources may be helpful:
- COVID-19 Resources
- Emotional Well-Being During COVID-19 (24 minute video) - practical tips for you and your family.
- Read Tips for Coping from your EAP
- Read about Resiliency - adapting to change and challenges
- Talking to your Child about COVID-19 (20 min. video)
- Coronavirus COVID-19 (12 min. video)
While not EAP sponsored, these wellness resources may be of interest:
- Online Cognitive Behavioral Therapy AbilitiCBT - funded by the Ontario government during the pandemic
- Fitness and yoga videos and podcasts - gathered by Western's Living Well team.
- Five Tips for Working from Home (7 min. video) - from Western's Talent, Learning and Engagement team.
Also visit the webpage Employee Resources - COVID 19.
If you require Human Resources forms, documents or other information in an alternative format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Published on and maintained in Cascade CMS.