Flex Credits for Western Employees

Making the best use of the Professional Expense Reimbursement Account, the Health Care Spending Account, and the Wellness Spending Account

Western provides many of its employees with spending accounts that can be used to cover a wide variety of expenses. These accounts may include the Professional Expense Reimbursement Account, the Health Care Spending Account, and the Wellness Spending Account.

The University also provide Flex Credits - funds that can be used to credit or increase the amount in your accounts, depending on your preference or needs.

Important: Tax rules stipulate that a decision about how much you allocate to each account must be made in the year prior to the year the account is utilized. For instance, in 2023 you were asked to make a decision about how you would like to allocate your funds for use in 2024. A default allocation will be made on your behalf if you do not allocate your Flex Credits by the deadline. Flex Credit allocations cannot be altered after the deadline has passed.  

To learn more about the accounts available to you, and about Flex Credits, please select your employee group from those below:

UWOFA 2024 

UWOFA - Librarians & Archivists 2024

PMA 2024


Some helpful links

FAQs – An FAQ is available for Faculty Members and UWOFA-LA and one is available for Western Special Constable Service (OPSEU) and PMA employees.

PER Claim Forms – choose the correct form for your employee group under the heading “Professional Expense Reimbursement.”

HCSA Claim Form – use this form to make claims against your Health Care Spending Account and Extended Health Care Benefits.

Taxable Wellness Spending Account (WSA) Form - for UWOFA and UWOFA-Librarians & Archivists – use this form to make claims against your Taxable Wellness Spending Account.

Manulife login – by logging in to your Manulife account using your Group Plan Number, your Member Number and your Manulife password, you can access information about coverage and claims, including HCSA claims. To view your current HCSA balance, choose "My Benefits", then the link that says HCSA Balance)

My Human Resources - You may go to "My Human Resources" anytime to review your Flex Credit allocations from the current and past years by choosing "Benefits", "Benefits Summary".

If you require HR forms, documents or other information in an alternative format, please use ASK HR to contact Human Resources.

Published on  and maintained in Cascade CMS.