Vehicle Rentals

Who can rent a vehicle?

The University’s Non-Owned Auto Insurance is applicable to University employees traveling on University business. The University employee must be a licensed and qualified driver over the age 21. An "employee" is one who has been appointed officially to the University as academic or administrative staff. Coverage is extended to individuals who have a current appointment on the University’s Payroll System. This would include Graduate Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants and Post-Doctoral Fellows. If in doubt as to the status of an appointment, please contact the Western Corporate Insurance office.

What is the duration that a vehicle can be rented?

Vehicles can be rented for a period up to thirty (30) consecutive days. There is no insurance coverage under any Western policy beyond this period. Coverage cannot be extended for more than thirty (30) days by renewing or taking out a new rental agreement with the same or another rental agency for the same or another vehicle. If a vehicle is required for longer than a thirty (30) day period, the option of leasing a vehicle from a company who is registered to lease a vehicle should be considered. Contact the Corporate Insurance office for information on the insurance coverage.

What insurance options are available?

  1. Western Insurance coverage: The University has purchased Non-Owned Auto Insurance (legal liability/damages) insurance coverage for University employees who are travelling on University business. To be covered under this policy, you must register the details of the vehicle rental with the Western Corporate Insurance Office. There is no cost for this coverage unless there is a claim. In the event of a claim, a University internal $500 deductible applies which is payable by the department. Note: Individuals renting vehicles should check with their supervisor to determine what account number (operating/research) would cover this deductible.
  2. If Western Insurance coverage does not apply, rental agencies offer vehicle rental insurance coverage. Please speak to a rental agency representative for further information regarding rates and coverage.
  3. Check your own personal vehicle insurance to see if you have or can obtain rental insurance coverage.

What is the deductible?

The University internal deductible charged back to departments is $500 per incident.

How do I rent a vehicle?

  1. Prior to booking your vehicle rental, it is important to register the rental with the Corporate Insurance office for the vehicle rental to be covered under the University’s Non-Owned Auto Insurance policy. Please complete the on-line Vehicle Rental Registration Form. (Note: if you choose to purchase insurance through the rental agency, this step is not required)
  2. Renting a Vehicle in North America: The Western Purchasing Department has negotiated preferred rates with local rental companies. For more details contact the rental agency or Western's Preparing to Travel website and see Vehicle Rental.

What types of vehicles can be rented?

Private passenger or commercial vehicles (cars, light trucks or passenger vans) can be rented. As of May 1, 2009 the University’s Non-Owned Auto Insurance policy has been enhanced to permit the rental of 15-passenger vans.

What information should be on the rental agreement?

All vehicles rented for University business must be rented with The University of Western Ontario (UWO) specifically noted on the rental agreement.


Renters Details

Any additional drivers must also be named on the rental agreement and be a licensed and qualified driver over the age 21.

What do I do in the event of an accident?

In the event of an accident/incident with a rental vehicle, the University’s Corporate Insurance Office should be advised immediately. (The accident should also be reported as soon as possible to the Police, the Rental Agency and/or the VISA-PCard [1-800-847-2911] claims office.)

The following information must be forwarded to the Corporate Insurance Office no later than 48 hours after the accident/incident:

  • Renter's name
  • Faculty/Department
  • Date of incident
  • Copy of rental agreement
  • Description of accident
  • Police report or Occurrence Number (if applicable)

Does the University Insurance Policy cover vehicle rentals outside North America?

The University does not carry collision and comprehensive insurance for vehicles rented outside North America therefore appropriate coverage should be obtained from the rental agencies. Insurance for third party liability of at least $1,000,000 inclusive, per occurrence should also be obtained if it is not included in the rental rates.

Published on  and maintained in Cascade CMS.