NSERC Alliance Grants program
Please note: Alliance Grants now fall under the Government of Canada's newly announced New National Security Guidelines for Research Partnerships.
The Alliance Grants Program encourages university researchers to collaborate with partner organizations, which can be from the private, public or non-for-profit sectors. These grants support research projects led by strong, complementary, collaborative teams that will generate new knowledge and accelerate the application of research results to create benefits for Canada.
Research supported by Alliance grants will:
- generate new knowledge and/or technology to address complex challenges;
- create economic, social and/or environmental benefits;
- contribute to Canada's long-term competitiveness;
- support public policy;
- train new researchers in areas that are important to Canada and to the partner organizations; and
- draw on diverse perspectives and skill sets to accelerate the translation and application of research results.
Who can Apply?
Canadian university researchers who are eligible to receive NSERC funds can apply on their own or as a team with co-applicants who are also eligible academic researchers. They must have at least one partner organization (in the private, public or not-for-profit sector) whose cash contributions will be recognized for cost-sharing, but they may also include other partner organizations who play an important role in the research project whether or not their cash contributions are recognized for cost-sharing.
Amount and Duration
The annual funding amount requests range from $20,000 to $1 million, and the grants can be 1-5 years in duration.
Application Process & Deadlines
There is no application deadline at NSERC. Visit the Alliance Grants website to learn more about the program and to find details on the application requirements and to start an application. Applications are submitted using NSERC's Online System.
At least 5 business days before you intend to submit the application to NSERC:
- Submit an Alliance ROLA proposal
- Email a copy of your Alliance Grant application (complete PDF download from the NSERC Online System) to email@example.com for administrative review.
For more information, or questions relating to the Alliance Grants Program, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org