Student & Postdoctoral Scholar Funding
Undergraduate Student Funding Opportunities
Targeted funding opportunities for undergraduate students include:
- Undergraduate Student Research Internships Program: Provides undergraduate students with engaged research experiences and opportunities to learn new research methods and techniques alongside faculty mentors.
- Head and Heart Program: Aims to open space for Indigenous students to use Indigenous Knowledge systems and language within undergraduate summer research projects across a wide variety of academic disciplines.
- NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) University Awards: Meant to stimulate your interest in research in the natural sciences and engineering. If you would like to gain research experience in an academic setting, these awards can provide you with financial support through your host university. NSERC encourages qualified Indigenous students to apply to this program.
- Connections Program: Provides an opportunity for undergraduates in their final year in a faculty of engineering or computer science (possibly in collaboration with students from the business school or other faculties) to undertake a research or problem solving project defined by an industry partner and of specific relevance to the industrial participant's needs. While the program does provide research support, through practical industrial experience, its primary mandate is soft skills development including problem solving, relationship and team building, communications and presentation skills.
Graduate Student & Postdoctoral Scholar Funding Opportunities
Targeted funding opportunities for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars include:
- Academic Joint Fund for Support of Graduate Student Research and Scholarship: Initiated to help support the creation of events that bring external participants to share their research and interact with Western's graduate students.
- BrainsCAN Graduate Studentship Program: Developed to attract the most promising prospective master’s and doctoral students in cognitive neuroscience. Open to prospective graduate students not enrolled in a graduate program at Western.
- BrainsCAN Postdoctoral Fellowship Program: Developed to attract promising early career neuroscientists whose innovative work has achieved impact and demonstrated great potential for continued contributions.
- Medical Innovation Fellowship Program: Immerses highly talented young scientists, engineers and clinicians in training and research environments that build innovation leaders and create novel medical technologies.
- Canada-US Fulbright Program: Operates on the principle of reciprocal exchange and provides the opportunity for outstanding Canadian and American students and scholars to lecture, research and pursue graduate study in the United States and Canada, respectively. Award recipients include prominent and promising scholars, experienced and junior professionals and exceptional students.
- London Regional Cancer Program Translational Breast Cancer Research Traineeship program: Encourages and supports translational breast cancer research by providing funding for Studentships and Postdoctoral Fellowships.
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)