Faculty Writing Support Program
Feeling challenged focusing on your academic writing? The Faculty Writing Support Program, led by professors Emily Abrams Ansari and Kelly Olson, in partnership with Western Research, is pleased to offer a series of initiatives and resources to help you un-block your writing and take it to the next level.
The Faculty Writing Support Program will be holding a Zoom writing retreat—this time, for a full week. It will take place May 17 -21, 9 a.m.—4 p.m.
Full- and part-time faculty members and post-doctoral scholars are welcome to attend.
About our retreats:.
- Zoom writing retreats are not as effective as in-person, but those who have attended those we organized this year have nevertheless described far greater-than-normal writing productivity because of the benefits of setting aside the time, mutual accountability, and camaraderie within the group.
- You don't have to be working on a scholarly article or monograph—any kind of writing is appropriate for a writing retreat! We've had grant-writers, student paper revisers, novel-writers - the works! Anything that needs focused, uninterrupted time can benefit from a retreat...
- After an exceptionally challenging year, we all need time to rest and restore this summer. But many will also need time to get work finished that simply couldn't get done during these last two semesters. A week-long retreat allows you to really focus your attention on your research for a short, intense period, so you can get more accomplished in less time, and set aside more time for rest.
- If you sign up, you are not obliged to attend every day and you are also welcome to duck away for a bit if you need to.
We hope you'll join us! More details to follow.
Show Up and Write!
Need some help committing to a regular writing practice? We have organized a weekly drop-in session every Friday as part of Western's new Faculty Writing Support Program for faculty members.
Come join us to write alongside supportive colleagues from across campus in a quiet, focused environment. We will hold these sessions every Friday between 9:30 a.m.-11:30 p.m. You don't need to come every week.
- We have booked a large room that seats 30 people, so please feel welcomed to bring your colleagues along, too.
- This room isn't an especially cozy space for writing, but it does have good availability of power outlets, is centrally located, and provides room to spread out. (Note: we will not be providing refreshments; please bring your own).
- Not to worry if you can't manage the whole two hours, or can't come every week: come sporadically or regularly, as is useful to you.
- Please note that these sessions will not involve discussions about writing (although you are welcome to have these afterwards). Our plan is for each of us to spend the time on quiet, focused, solitary work in the company of our colleagues.
- No need to register: feel free to show up and write whenever you would like.
Overcoming Burnout, Writer’s Block, Resistance to Writing
- 10 Steps to Reignite Your Flame and Shine Brightly Once More
- 6 Ways to Beat Writer's Block
- Lower Your Standards
- Shut Up and Write
- The Costs of Perfectionism
- Aiding the Writing-Stalled Professor
- How To Restart Your Research This Summer
- A Realistic Summer Writing Schedule
- Planning a Productive Summer
- Regrouping After an Unsuccessful Summer
- No More Post-Summer Regret
- 10 Simple Rules for Scientists: Improving Your Writing Productivity
Western's Faculty Writing Support Program is a grassroots enterprise led by Western faculty members with support and funding from Western Research.
If you have any additional questions, please contact Emily Abrams Ansari, Associate Professor, Music Research and Composition, or Kelly Olson, Associate Professor, Classical Studies, Women's Studies and Law.