Faculty Writing Support Program
Feeling challenged focusing on your academic writing? The Faculty Writing Support Program, led by professors Emily Abrams Ansari and Kelly Olson, in partnership with Western Research, is pleased to offer a series of initiatives and resources to help you un-block your writing and take it to the next level.
Hold the date! The Faculty Writing Support Program is organizing a Two-Day Virtual Writing Retreat!
This is a great way to commit yourself to setting aside time for writing for two days. Show up for one, both, or any part of the days for writing sessions, support, and camaraderie.
Throughout next week, show up daily for drop-in Zoom writing sessions, support, and camaraderie.
- When: Tuesday, February 16 and Wednesday, February 17, 2020 | 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- Where: On Zoom (details to follow)
- Who: Western faculty and post-docs
- 9-9:30 a.m.: Connect to the Zoom meeting to chat with colleagues about writing challenges in times of Covid, to articulate your targets for the day, or to talk about how the writing challenge is going.
- 9:30 a.m.- 4 p.m.: Join us muted at any time in the Zoom meeting (video on or not, as you prefer), post a goal to the group in the chat feed, and then just write, in the virtual company of your colleagues. (And take breaks as you need them!) When you start to lose momentum, come back to the Zoom screen and be inspired by the sight of your colleagues hard at work! We'll also provide a link to a shared Google Doc, to provide accountability for the sharing of goals and daily progress, if you wish to use it.
Show Up and Write!
Need some help committing to a regular writing practice? We have organized a weekly drop-in session every Friday as part of Western's new Faculty Writing Support Program for faculty members.
Come join us to write alongside supportive colleagues from across campus in a quiet, focused environment. We will hold these sessions every Friday between 9:30 a.m.-11:30 p.m. You don't need to come every week.
- We have booked a large room that seats 30 people, so please feel welcomed to bring your colleagues along, too.
- This room isn't an especially cozy space for writing, but it does have good availability of power outlets, is centrally located, and provides room to spread out. (Note: we will not be providing refreshments; please bring your own).
- Not to worry if you can't manage the whole two hours, or can't come every week: come sporadically or regularly, as is useful to you.
- Please note that these sessions will not involve discussions about writing (although you are welcome to have these afterwards). Our plan is for each of us to spend the time on quiet, focused, solitary work in the company of our colleagues.
- No need to register: feel free to show up and write whenever you would like.
Overcoming Burnout, Writer’s Block, Resistance to Writing
- 10 Steps to Reignite Your Flame and Shine Brightly Once More
- 6 Ways to Beat Writer's Block
- Lower Your Standards
- Shut Up and Write
- The Costs of Perfectionism
- Aiding the Writing-Stalled Professor
- How To Restart Your Research This Summer
- A Realistic Summer Writing Schedule
- Planning a Productive Summer
- Regrouping After an Unsuccessful Summer
- No More Post-Summer Regret
- 10 Simple Rules for Scientists: Improving Your Writing Productivity
Western's Faculty Writing Support Program is a grassroots enterprise led by Western faculty members with support and funding from Western Research.
If you have any additional questions, please contact Emily Abrams Ansari, Associate Professor, Music Research and Composition, or Kelly Olson, Associate Professor, Classical Studies, Women's Studies and Law.