Family & Children
FAMILY RECREATION TIMES
During the University's academic year (Sept 1 - Apr 30), Family Recreation is, in general, available on Friday evenings (after 7:00 PM) and Saturday & Sunday from 8:00AM - 8:00PM. During this time, families and children have access to the following activities:
- -Gymnasia activities (shared drop-in recreation time with our regular users);
- -Recreation Swim (Saturday 2-4pm and Sunday 9:30am-11am)*
- -Squash courts (advance reservations are available at 519.661.3078);
- -Table tennis tables
*Recreation Swims are scheduled on weekends and during holiday periods where possible for family participation. Please note, children under 16 must have approval to participate in lane swim. For permission, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
In the pool, we also have supervisory ratios for the safety of all swimmers. Swimmers aged 15 and under must have supervision on deck, and swimmers aged 7 and younger, and all non-swimmers must be within arms’ reach of an adult at all times (in the pool and on deck).
During the summer months (May 1 – Aug 31) and between Christmas & New Year’s, children (with a parent/guardian) are welcome to participate in any of the above activities at any time with the exception of swimming which can only occur during scheduled Recreation Swims.
CHILDREN (15 years of age and under)
- Children may use the facilities during our Family Recreation times (see above). They may use locker rooms and designated facilities for lessons in which they are registered.
- Children must at all times be accompanied by and under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian who is at least 18 years of age.
Swimmers aged 15 and under must have supervision on deck, and swimmers aged 7 and younger, and all non-swimmers must be within arms’ reach of an adult at all times (in the pool and on deck).
For safety and health reasons, children are not permitted to use the Fitness Centre (weight and cardio training space/equipment), or to attend aerobics classes at any time.
- “Family” is defined as you, your domestic partner and one or more dependents.
A dependent child means an unmarried child of a member, under 25 years of age and dependent on the member for support.
An unmarried child of a member, 25 years of age or over, who is a full-time student attending or on vacation from an educational institution and dependent for support on the member.
Proof of common residence is required for new memberships.
- The account holder must be present for partner/spouse, youth, child, or any dependent membership purchases and all membership renewals.
If you are interested in purchasing a family membership please visit our Membership Information web page or call 519 661.3090 for information.
FAMILY & COMMUNITY CHANGE ROOM
Our family & community change room is located between the men's and women's locker rooms. It is equipped with benches, day-use lockers, changing stalls, toilet stalls, sinks, showers, and a baby change table, with direct access to the pool.
Western is committed to providing an environment that is safe and inclusive, and welcoming to our members and guests. This is a gender neutral space available to anyone, no matter their gender identity or biological sex.
We ask for the comfort of all of our members that changing and showering be limited to the enclosed stalls, not the open locker area.
YOUNG CHILDREN IN THE GENDER APPROPRIATE LOCKER ROOM
For the comfort of all patrons, we encourage children four (4) years of age and older to use the gender-appropriate locker room or are welcome to use family & community change room.