Campus Recreation and Sport Facilities
Last updated: August 2020
The Western Sport and Recreation team has been busy preparing Return to Sport and Facility Reopening plans. We are excited to reopen for students while meeting provincial guidelines, initially reducing capacity, and providing new and robust cleaning and safety protocols.
Outdoor fields and TD Stadium will reopen to student groups (by bookings only) on Tuesday, August 4, 2020. The Western Student Recreation Centre (WSRC) will reopen to students only, on Monday, September 7. Thompson Recreation Athletic Centre (TRAC) will reopen for students on Monday, September 7 and external rentals later in September.
Members of the London community will also be invited to rent Western’s outdoor fields and the TD Stadium from August 4 – 18, after which they will close to serve students and Western Orientation activities. Outdoor fields and TD Stadium may reopen again for community rentals in September depending on the needs of our Western community.
Western faculty and staff will be invited back to WRSC and TRAC late 2020.
Sport and Recreation appreciates that health and safety is a shared responsibility with those using its facilities:
- Hours of operation for Campus Recreation will be announced later in August. We anticipate having similar hours to last year, with some adjustments for additional cleaning measures.
- Before entering the WRSC members must book a scheduled time in advance and follow Western’s protocols for being on-campus. Students will not be allowed entry if they present with COVID-19 symptoms.
- To ensure physical distancing, there will be reduced capacity in the facility.
- Members will book 45-75-minute workout blocks to guarantee a workout time. Booking reservation details to come later in August.
- Group fitness classes will be available and will adhere to Ontario public health guidelines.
- Facility cleaning and sanitization will occur between workout blocks.
- Participants will be asked to apply hand sanitizer immediately upon entry to the WSRC.
- Washrooms will be available at the WSRC, TD Stadium, and the Thompson Recreation Athletic Centre.
- Changerooms, showers, massage therapy, towel service, lockers, equipment rentals and squash courts are NOT available at this time.
Campus Recreation will be using a hybrid approach, with a mix of in-person programming (indoor and outdoor) and online digital programming, to service both students on-campus and students studying remotely.
“Thank you for your patience as we work toward a safe re-opening,” said Christine Stapleton, Director, Sport & Recreation. “We will also continue to provide an extensive digital programming model for all students. We’ve been waiting for the day to welcome you back.”
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
For updated FAQs please visit news/2020/ReOpening
For more information on Mustangs Sports visit https://www.westernmustangs.ca
For more information on Western and Covid-19 visit: https://www.uwo.ca/coronavirus