These checklists outline some of the most important steps to help you plan and complete a Pregnancy or Parental Leave, and to receive the benefits that you are entitled to receive from Western.
Please read the information provided on Western’s Pregnancy/Parental/Adoption Leave website. It is your responsibility to determine your eligibility for these entitlements and to apply to receive them.
- Planning Checklist - Use this checklist before your leave to plan the leave and take steps to determine and apply for benefits, and give notice to Western of your plans.
- Benefits and Pension Checklist - Use this checklist after the birth/adoption of your baby to ensure your new child is covered under your benefits and that your beneficiary designations are up to date.
Special Note on Income Tax
When you file your income tax return, you owe tax based on your total income received from all sources within the tax year. Note that while on leave, each source of income (ex. Western for SEIB benefits, Service Canada for EI benefits) will be deducting taxes from your benefits as though it is your only source of income. The taxes withheld from each of these sources may not be sufficient to meet your true tax obligation.
Based on your personal tax situation, you may wish to request additional income tax withholding. Consider:
- Increasing the tax withheld from your pay (in advance, or after your return)
- Increasing the tax withheld from your SEIB benefits paid by Western
- Increasing the tax withheld from your EI benefits paid by Service Canada
To change the taxes withheld by Western, login to your “My Human Resources” account available via the Login Tools on any HR webpage. You can request additional tax under Pay/Personal Tax Credit Information.
*If you request additional taxes, remember to change it back when you no longer need it!
This website is provided for information and planning purposes for Western employees only. While every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy, if any conflict exists between the information on this website and the provisions of the various collective agreements or applicable legislation, the collective agreements or legislation prevail.
Published on and maintained in Cascade CMS.