Use of animals in research at Western is a privilege granted only to those who commit to meeting the highest ethical and regulatory standards. All research and teaching using vertebrate animals must have been reviewed and approved by the Animal Care Committee (ACC). This review and approval process ensures federal (Canadian Council on Animal Care), provincial (Ontario Animals in Research Act), regulatory bodies (eg: CIHR/NSERC and SSHRC through the Agreement on Administration of Agency Grants and Awards by Research Institutions), and other national (CALAM ‘Standards of Care) standards for the ethical use of animals in science are in place. No work with animals can be initiated, or animals obtained, prior to approval by the ACC.
The ACC handles the following working duties:
- Animal Use Protocol (AUP) Review
- Post-Approval Monitoring Program
- ACC Newsletters
- Animal Ethics and Research Education
- Assurance of Federal, Provincial and Institutional Policy Compliance
For when the ACC meets, and deadlines for AUP submissions, please refer to ACC Meeting Calendar and Deadlines.
- Chair, ACC: Rob Gros (Physiology & Pharmacology, Western University; Scientist, Robarts Research Institute, 519-931-5777 ext. 24429)
- Vice-Chair, ACC: Dr. Lisa Hoffman (Medical Biophysics, Anatomy & Cell Biology, Western University; Scientist, Imaging Program, Lawson Health Research Institute, 519- 646-6000 ext. 61472).
- ACC Administrative Support: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ACC Veterinary Support: email@example.com
- Animal research veterinary emergencies: 519-661-2195
- Non-veterinary emergencies: 519-850-2468