New Students

Welcome to the Western Chemistry Graduate Program!   Here you will find some important information to help get you started. I encourage you to view the Powerpoint provided for more important information.

Western is preparing for a full return to in-person classes this September 2021 while prioritizing the health and safety of our campus community.

Vaccinations are required for students living in residence and we strongly encourage all members of the campus community to get vaccinated as soon as they can. An on-campus vaccination and testing centre will open later this summer to accommodate first and second doses for students, staff and faculty.

We continue to follow public health guidelines, working closely with the Middlesex-London Health Unit and more information will be shared with the campus community as it becomes available.

Activate your User ID and Password. See "Steps to Activate User ID & Password".

Get started Activating Your Western Identity.

New Students Clearing Admission Conditions

Building Access:

Your supervisor will provide the Graduate Assistant with buildings you will need access to electronically. This will allow you to gain entry using your Western One Card.

Your supervisor will provide the Graduate Assistant with office/lab spaces you will need access to. You must request the keys online and the Graduate Assistant will approve these requests based on the information provided by your supervisor.

Tuition (due September 8 for Fall 2021)

Tuition Fees 

All students attending Western for the 1st time are assessed a $32.00 fee for the Western One Card, not included in the tuition fees.

*If you already have your own Extended Health Care Plan (not OHIP or UHIP), you can opt-out of the Health and Dental Plan. If you would like to opt-in a spouse or partner in the plan, you can do so via an opt-in form. To find out more information about opting out and opting in, visit the Society of Graduate Students (SOGS) website.

Social Insurance Number:

In order to be employed in Canada, you MUST have and maintain an eligible Social Insurance Number (SIN).  For information on how to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) 


If you have not already done so, you will be required to set up a local bank account.  The following link will provide you with the details to update the Human Resources system with your banking information for direct deposit information. Please remember to set up your direct deposit.

Photo ID - Obtain your Western ONECard (Photo ID) from the Office of the Registrar

Housing-off campus

Bus Pass- All full-time SOGS members will be able to use their  Western ONE student cards as a London Transit Commission bus pass. 

EMAIL -Please ensure that you activate and use your UWO grad student email account as it will be added to our departmental email lists and all future correspondence will be sent to you via that address. Please do not forward your UWO email to an outside service provider as this causes many problems with email and may violate confidentiality rules.  If you are having problems activating this account, please contact  Information Technology Services Help Desk.

Mandatory Online Training - Required Training

TA Duties - Your name and official Western email will be provided to our Teaching Assistantship Coordinator, who will ensure that you are contacted for future Teaching Assistantship duties via email.

Graduate Courses -You will be advised via your student center when the online course enrollment is available to you.

We offer graduate courses during the September and January terms. These courses are generally posted under our graduate course page several weeks before the beginning of the term.  Please consult with your supervisor before registering for courses. Special permission forms are required for course audits, undergraduate courses and courses outside the department. Forms are available on the Graduate Chemistry website under "forms"- course related.

Please review important health and safety information on the  Chemistry Health and Safety Webpage. Discuss necessary safety training with your supervisor and then sign up for the appropriate training as soon as possible. Please take the time to view the Chemistry Handbook.

Health and Wellness

Students seeking help regarding mental health concerns are advised to speak to someone they feel comfortable confiding in, such as their faculty supervisor, their program director (graduate chair), or other relevant administrators in their unit.  Campus mental health resources may be found at Departmental health and safety resources can be found here.

Additional links: